PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does pesto sauce 'go off'?

Options
Just wondering.

I have a jar in the fridge still in it's use by date, but it says use within two weeks of opening. I can't remember when I actually opened it ( I love to mix a teaspoon in with pasta or noodles for a snack, but have been watching my weight recently :D ) but it must have been at least three months ago.

It still has a good covering of oil on the top.

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    It probably won't be as nice as when you opened it, but it's not going to do you any harm.
  • Vashti
    Vashti Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Wasn't really worried about what it would 'do' to me to be honest - cast iron guts and all that :) it was more the idea of being hungry, psyching myself up for my fave snack, then finding it tasted yeuch. I just wasnt sure how long pesto in oil would last. I hate the idea of it being 'foosty' as we say in Scotland.

Think I will bin it.
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    I find the first thing "to go" is the bit imside the lid goes mouldy, so thats what I usually use as a benchmark.
    they do say that if you have lots of oil over the top its less likely to go off so soon.
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes pesto (and tomato sauce too) needs to have suffiicient oil so that it forms a layer on top of it for preservation. The best really would be to eat it within about a week of opening.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I've used Pesto much older than a week old. Provided its covered in oil it lasts for ages. A look in the jar, and a sniff will tell you if its OK, but I've used it more than a month after opening, and its been fine (never been able to resist it for 3 months though, so can't guarantee it for that length of time!)
  • kevster1009
    kevster1009 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    I have an unopened Jar of it in the cupboard...only thing is...what do I actually do with it? Lol
    MBNA are a joke.

DFW Nerd No. 232
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    mix in with your pasta,bit of cream with it is lovely. OR mix into mashed potatoes OR spread on top of firm fish fillets then top with breadcrumbs OR use as pizza topping instead of tomato sauce
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have an unopened Jar of it in the cupboard...only thing is...what do I actually do with it? Lol

Cook some pasta, drain and return to the hot pan, add the jar of pesto. Serve with plenty of parmesan and black pepper.

It's on of our favourite *quick suppers*. Perfect, with some fruit for pudding, as a meal that's on the table within 20mins of your getting home.

I picked up a jar of *wild rocket* pesto recently, by mistake. Looking forward to trying that.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • kevster1009
    kevster1009 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    thanks. I have great ideas at times but sometimes lack the know how.
    MBNA are a joke.

DFW Nerd No. 232
  • daysieblue
    daysieblue Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    I picked up a jar of *wild rocket* pesto recently, by mistake. Looking forward to trying that.

Bizareely, that's what we had for dinner last night - it was yum :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 360
    Thrilled to be member 21 of the "DMP mutal support club" LBM - 21.03.05
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T

Trying SO hard to be O/S ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business