Free online storage services

Comments

• bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    I would not trust my data with these online services...

The best option is to get your own NAS, 1TB can be picked up quite cheaply now.

I have 2 of these. 1 in my house, where I store all our pictures etc, and a backup at my mother in laws, which backs up the one at my house once a week. I also have a USB drive which is also a back up in the event of a NAS failure. All automated, never has a problem, and if this house burns down, I have another copy.
  • As far as free online storage[/URL] options are concerned, my choice will be Dropbox. They are good at what they are offering to end users with ease of use, simple interface, innumerable benefits and many more advantages affixed to it. There are several other options which you can explore to have free storage options for your data but as a user i suggest a couple of them based on the experience which i have got after using xyz service. In my opinion, Dropbox, SugarSync and SkyDrive are good choices to pick. More options (around 20) can be considered in the source link.

Source: www(dot)cloudreviews(dot)com/blog/free-online-storage
  • bmewsd
    bmewsd Posts: 87 Forumite
    If you're looking for automated backup then look at https://www.excipere.com/cloudstor.html it's based in the UK. It's not free but free doesn't really exist. it's fully automated and best of all it's unlimted. I have a bunch of computers on it and can access any of the files or folders from anywhere in the world either via the web browser or on my iPad.

If you want free? good luck, free means someone else is paying the bill and that's not really fair. Plus the majority of free services are supplied by US companies so you need to be aware of the legalities of the US government trawling through your information at will.

I'm sticking with Excipere. It just works

bmewsd.
  • I'm currently using cloud storage with Excipere they offer unlimited storage far cheaper than any of the competitors named above, their customer service is fantastic and i've had no problems with set up, all explained to me and if i have any queries i've been responded to in 48 hours! Can't rate it high enough, everyone should check it out! And for people who have kids, or any students reading this, they offer it for £12 a year for students!!! and they even let you use it free for 10 days as a try before you buy.
  • My laptop is full and the main issue with my storage is photos - the file sizes keep getting larger and i don't want to spend money on buying storage.

I just upload my photos straight to PhotoBox - i know they are safe and storage is unlimited.
  • hugh1988
    hugh1988 Posts: 26
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 5 February 2013 at 12:56AM
    From the creators of MegaUpload:
    MEGA.co.nz

- 50GB free storage
    - Unlimited file sizes
    - Unlimited speeds
    - No adds
    - Drag & Drop into your browser window
    - All data encrypted before it's uploaded and decrypted after it's downloaded. So MEGA can't see your files!
    - Desktop, Android and iOS apps in development

It's by far the best user interface i've used for cloud storage too! :D
  • cubeen
    cubeen Posts: 2 Newbie
    Copy (similar to Dropbox) is currently running a limited offer giving 5Gb extra online storage for aech person you invite to use their service. It means you are getting 5Gb at the start + 5Gb extra for each referred person (the person you refer gets it too). You can get 10Gb at the start using following link (as a person invited by myself, you and I get 5Gb extra:beer:): copy.com?r=PzWgwS

It means you start with 10Gb and earn 5Gb for each person you invite. Hope this is helpful
  • bmewsd
    hugh1988 wrote: »
    From the creators of MegaUpload:
    MEGA.co.nz

- 50GB free storage
    - Unlimited file sizes
    - Unlimited speeds
    - No adds
    - Drag & Drop into your browser window
    - All data encrypted before it's uploaded and decrypted after it's downloaded. So MEGA can't see your files!
    - Desktop, Android and iOS apps in development

It's by far the best user interface i've used for cloud storage too! :D

Unlimited speeds for download? Maybe. Upload will be limited by ISP. You need to qualify that statement. Beware that there are ongoing investigations into the previous company that this guy ran. Those users still can't access their data. Be careful.
  • bmewsd
    cubeen wrote: »
    Copy (similar to Dropbox) is currently running a limited offer giving 5Gb extra online storage for aech person you invite to use their service. It means you are getting 5Gb at the start + 5Gb extra for each referred person (the person you refer gets it too). You can get 10Gb at the start using following link (as a person invited by myself, you and I get 5Gb extra:beer:): copy.com?r=PzWgwS

It means you start with 10Gb and earn 5Gb for each person you invite. Hope this is helpful

There is no such thing as giving. Infrastructure needs to be paid for by someone. Where is your data stored? You might not think you need to be concerned but would you give the keys to your house to someone ? Your data is your ip. It's your choice, but do some research.
  • cubeen
    cubeen Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 22 May 2013 at 11:37PM
    bmewsd wrote: »
    There is no such thing as giving. Infrastructure needs to be paid for by someone. Where is your data stored? You might not think you need to be concerned but would you give the keys to your house to someone ? Your data is your ip. It's your choice, but do some research.
    Fair enough, above would naturally apply to all online storage services. No one said storing sensitive data in the cloud is reasonable (as no one can guarantee 100% security and reliability). Unless its encrypted on my machine before sending I would not store sensitive data in the cloud- anywhere else than on my drive for that matter. For all other files I think it's perfect.

For those concerned: Wuala offers online storage that encrypts all data prior to upload (5 GB free)

For all the rest: Currently copy increased initial storage on signing up to 15 GB free + 5 GB extra when using an invite from someone (mine here: copy.com?r=PzWgwS ) = 20 GB free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure