Free online storage services

Comments

• squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    seaneeboy wrote: »
    I use Livedrive and it's excellent. Unlimited backup of a computer (I'm currently on around 500GB) or higher packages let you share files like a massive, cheaper version of Dropbox.

From £35/year.

Sorry, I'm too new to post a link. But it's easy enough to find. Search for Livedrive.

Or...

Buy the same package from a reseller at get is cheaper.

I'm with Carbon Cloud Backup - £2 for the first year (unlimited storage) and no more than £15 in future years.

Well worth a 12 month trial at that price.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What has kept me from using any of these services so far is that I feel uncomfortable with uploading files that may contain personal, private or otherwise "sensitive" information into an environment that is basically open to anyone who has the means to sniff around, be it a rogue employee of the file hoster or the government of whichever country my files may physically end up in.

What I would really like is to keep my files at the host in an encrypted form. I could do that by hand (i.e. encrypt on my computer before uploading, decrypt after downloading), but for regular backups or any sort of synchronising that would be very awkward.

Does anyone know of a file host that offers "on the fly" encrypting/decrypting during uploading/downloading, or a PC-based program that would do the job independently of the host?

I'm not talking about encrypting the files during travel through the Internet; I assume many services will offer that protection by using a https connection. I'm looking for a way to keep the files encrypted while they are with the host.

Wuala by LaCie (the hard drive manufacturer) offer this. http://www.wuala.com
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    squinty wrote: »
    Or...

Buy the same package from a reseller at get is cheaper.

I'm with Carbon Cloud Backup - £2 for the first year (unlimited storage) and no more than £15 in future years.

Well worth a 12 month trial at that price.
    ...or maybe there should be a separate thread about paid-for online storage services.
  • Hi there
    I had some free space with Dropbox but wanted to backup all of my PC including photo's, video and music (Total of about 120Gig).

Looked round for ages and ended up on a comparison site called vodas - virtual office development & support. It was a very helpfull site.

I ended up going with MyPC Backup as they provided lots of space for a good price.
  • Be careful when considering a cloud service via a re-seller. Re-sellers can and have disappeared and leave you in the lurch with lost data. Sometimes they may warn you to allow you to download all your files or the cloud host may give you access - but sometimes they don't.

Phil.

(Personal experience when trying out various cloud services)
  • I find SugarSync much easier to use than Dropbox. There's no reason why you can't use both (and other freebies) to make the most of free storage.
  • theres a few...

GoogleDrive
    Skydrive
    dropbox

personally i dont like the idea of online storage purely for if my internet drops i cant access my files! i store on an external Hard Drive... works wonders :)
  • Google Dropbox is what we used to use in work
  • Nobody has mentioned mozy yet, the nice thing with them is you can create a personal key rather than use the mozy default one so encrypting your data before it is sent. Not the cheapest but been with them for a few years and never had a problem.
  • I've done quite a lot of research on this of recently as I'm of the opinion that my photo's are priceless and I would never want to loose them, with that in mind I've selected 3 of the best paid services in my opinion.
    1. SpiderOak
    2. Live Drive (already mentioned above)
    3. PogoPlug

All 3 of these provide clients for any platform (windows, mac, linux, iphone, etc) that automatically backup what you want to off line storage.

Spideroak.com is around £50 a year for 100GB of storage (they often have offers worth looking out for, and their customer service is fantastic, and generous. Over the years they've boosted my storage to around 300GB for the same £50 a year).

Live Drive, someone else has already covered this. £40 per year for 1 PC, unlimited on line storage.

My chosen solution is Pogoplug. I've gone with this as the solution I have setup is pretty much disaster proof (in my opinion my pictures are 100% secure, but then there's always the possibility of an asteroid hitting the planet :) )

ok, the Pogoplug is a tiny device (palm of your hand small). Plug it into the power, plug in ANY USB hard drive or keyring and that drive then becomes available as "cloud storage". Its as secure as your own router/firewall as its in your home, but you can access it from anywhere if your're out and about (you can read more on security on their website if needed, but I see it as iron clad as I trust my own network).

A pogoplug can be bought for as little as £30 from anywhere on line or PC World etc. BUT, if you sign up for PogoPlugs cloud service, they'll give you a FREE PogoPlug. Their smallest service is $29 (£15 ish) plus $9 postage (making this deal around £20?) and that gives you 100GB of online archive space. NOTE: its archive space. Not to be accessed like a hard drive all the time, but purely a disaster recovery solution.

So, the PogoPlug you keep in your home can hold unlimited storage (as big and as many hard drives as you can afford), and from what ever you put on your pogoplug you can select 100GB to be archived off. So you keep your photo's on your PC as always, tell the pogoplug software on your pc to backup your photo's to your pogoplug hard drive, then tell your pogoplug hard drive to archive the bits you want "to the cloud". Your most precious memories saved in 3 locations.

And the reason I like pogoplugs so much? You can have as many of them as you like, and they have a neat feature where they can automatically mirror between pogoplugs. So I have a pogoplug in my house and I've asked a friend can I store another in their house connected to the internet. So now pictures get backed up from my machine to my pogoplug, then get archived off to "the cloud" then get mirrored to another hard drive in my friends house. The best bit is I don't have to do anything, its all automatic and there's nothing complicated to setup, its all an easy web interface, just click and go.

...also, if you take the free pogoplug with the first years subscription, you're under no obligation to stay with them and you keep the pogoplug.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure