Free online storage services

Comments

• darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2017 at 2:54PM
    For those who are happy with Zoolz (like me). I just wanted to point out that you can get a lifetime 2TB storage for £40.
  • Neptune
    Neptune Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is also worth mentioning that Zoolz only support Micro$oft and Mac. No support for Chromebooks or Linux. So for me not usable.

The other thing that the article didn't mention was the historical volatility of 'Free' backup / cloud storage providers. So many have come and gone and it fundamentally relates to the fact that nothing is truly free, even the big names such as MS (withdrew unlimited storage for Office 365 ) and Google are turning away from large space free offerings. So something to consider is what would you do if Zoolz ends it's free provision or worse folds?

Many people will also know that making a statement / claim is much easier than delivering on it. Many will say 'Unlimited' storage but that only seems to apply providing you don't use it, the moment you do companies seem to limit account space or throttle upload speeds (to protect the stability of the service / other users, or so they will claim) to the point they are unusable. When you delve deep into the T&C's the real truth is usually revealed.
  • I enjoyed the comparison of the online storage services but was very disappointed to see a variety of OS's listed but not Linux. It is obvious from many websites whether Linux is supported, e.g. Dropbox = yes, Box = no.
    For the millions of Linux users out there this is valuable information to have at your fingertips. Although we are used to having to look more in depth to find whether we are supported - usually not.
    Please can MSE consider including whether there is Linux support, even a yes, no, unsure option would be better than nothing.
  • Zoolz said that they don't offer this service in the UK.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    adblack wrote: »
    Zoolz said that they don't offer this service in the UK.

I've been using it in the UK as have friends and family. I've personally used it for 3-4 years so definitely works in the UK. In fact they have offices in the UK !
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    adblack wrote: »
    Zoolz said that they don't offer this service in the UK.

Anything to back that up ?
  • I tried Zoolz but am a much bigger now fan of pcloud which gets good reviews. You get 10GB free but I got a deal for 500GB of lifetime storage. I'm impressed so far- it allows you to sync folders between my PC and the cloud and has a good phone app.

So I'm sticking with pcloud until something better comes along.
  • skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    zippyshare.com allows individual uploads to 500mb each- will need to remember the link though!

or if just storing photos, setup a separate flickr / facebook account?
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • Victor_Delta
    Victor_Delta Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I expect many people have been receiving the emails from Flickr about it's acquisition by SmugMug, as part of the break up Yahoo. If you don't opt out by 25th May (this Friday) one's account will simply transition to SmugMug's Terms of Service.

The blurb and FAQs are not entirely clear but it looks as if a free account will continue. However, is this likely to be the end of 1TB free storage? Even SmugMug's basic account is $6 pm or ($48 pa)...
  • immy1
    immy1 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi. I cant find a forum for paid for storage but I have been looking at companies on the web for which you pay to store all your important files, photos etc as well as backing up the whole pc system in case recovery is required.

I dont mind paying a reasonable amount but I have found it impossible to find any reviews of the best customer service offered by any of these companies on the internet.. Most of the big names like idrive, acronis etc have terrible reviews for customer service on Trustpilot. I cant see any point in signing up to a service if they dont reply when you hit a problem.. Does anyone use a service which offers good customer service for a home pc use? Thanks :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure