PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Affordable place to live between York & Leeds?

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    But I got the impression from thermal that he lived in Leeds, worked in York but couldn't afford York prices. (See post #7)
  • thermal2844
    thermal2844 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Possibly. Somewhere like Garforth, on the York edge of Leeds, might have somewhere suitable. Your main issue is the budget - even an extra 20k gets you into 2/3 bed nice garden territory in Sherburn in Elmet or South Milford. Is 160 the absolute max?

Could push it to 170k but that would be the absolute max, and wouldn't leave much room for improvements being done.
  • thermal2844
    Beenie wrote: »
    But I got the impression from thermal that he lived in Leeds, worked in York but couldn't afford York prices. (See post #7)

Yes that's correct, starting a new job in York but live in Leeds currently. Also trying to stay flexible in terms of job possibilities down the line, which is why I was thinking somewhere between York and Leeds might be good. However I don't mind commuting from one to the other if the housing situation is better (preferably by train). Thank you for the Acomb suggestion, will add it to the search list.
  • joehfax
    joehfax Posts: 25 Forumite
    Sherburn in elmet
  • Beenie
    edited 19 April 2018 at 5:42PM
    The drive to York daily will wear you down. The A64 is notorious.

Knowing York a little bit, it has lots of smaller village areas (Acomb being one, Haxby and New Earswick are others) that are in your price range and are pleasant places to live. Employment prospects in York always look good there to me also, possibly because it's a busy and thriving tourist city.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Doe your workplace have parking in York? If not you need somewhere with good transport links or face the dreaded park and ride. That cuts out almost everywhere mentioned!
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • Beenie
    That's why I suggested New Easrwick or Haxby - there's a bus every 10 minutes into York centre. I wouldn't bother with using a car to travel to work unless my job entailed driving elsewhere once I'd arrived at work.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Have you considered letting the big garden go and putting your name down for an allotment instead?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • thermal2844
    Doe your workplace have parking in York? If not you need somewhere with good transport links or face the dreaded park and ride. That cuts out almost everywhere mentioned!

No parking no, for reference it's less than a 10 minute walk from the train station.
  • thermal2844
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    Have you considered letting the big garden go and putting your name down for an allotment instead?

I know this would open things up hugely, but a garden is really important to me. Just not the same driving to an allotment, for me at least. We've just found out that my OH may be getting a payrise, will be finding out in a week or so, which if so, would bump up what we could afford by maybe £20k. Hopefully that opens a few more doors, so to speak!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure