Accused of teaching but nothing missing?

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you a teacher?

So what is the procedure for when an item still has monetary value but isn't needed by the school then? Seems a massive waste for it to just gather dust!

Asking the head would seem to be a good starting point.
    Even when I was just starting out in employment I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have thought it ok to unilaterally try to flog something that I knew wasn't mine to sell. Whatever the motivation.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Are you a teacher?

So what is the procedure for when an item still has monetary value but isn't needed by the school then? Seems a massive waste for it to just gather dust!

Erm as above, ask the person who owns it, the school, through their designated proxy either the headteacher, or the governors. Bring it up in a staff meeting, maybe another year or teacher could use it.

Honestly anything BUT just put it on eBay...
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Are you a teacher?

I was a teacher but honestly that’s a red herring.

Would a shop employee put old outdated stock on eBay?

Would a admin officer try and sell an old computer gathering dust in a corner?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Asking the head would seem to be a good starting point.
    Even when I was just starting out in employment I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have thought it ok to unilaterally try to flog something that I knew wasn't mine to sell. Whatever the motivation.

No, I wouldn't either, but I wanted to just counter the accusations of stealing because that's not what the OP was trying to do (if you believe her story I suppose).
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nasty situation, even if your intentions were good and you can convince them of that its difficult to see a way out of this for you. Schools often get volume pricing discount or special licenses - these are almost certainly non-transferable as you've discovered. It is also a school asset, you need permission before disposing of it, and depending on the licensing agreement they likely can't give that approval anyway.

I'd not try and offer any excuses, tell them complete lack of judgement - you were trying to do the right thing and just didn't think it through. How it will play out is unknown but I would prepare for the worst.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Accused of TEACHING but nothing missing?

I may not be an expert on eBay/ similar "well known selling platform" but do people normally contact the manufacturer to check the veracity of a product bought from such sites before getting hold of the product ("resource")? In addition, would the manufacturer tell the prospective purchaser who held the licence (DPA breach?)? How would the manufacturer know which one it was without being told a serial number?

So, I suspect this is yet another contribution from our returning dilema AI/Bot.

However, as others have pointed out, attempting to sell something that does not belong to you, and without authority, would probably fall under the gross misconduct category and dismissal would be a potential outcome of a reasonable employer.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Its seems a silly thing to do and against school policy............however if the product was going to stay in school and the person gained no benefit then I don't see it as stealing. It maybe a breach of rules but not stealing.

That said..........I suspect a disciplinary meeting and some punishment.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Its seems a silly thing to do and against school policy............however if the product was going to stay in school and the person gained no benefit then I don't see it as stealing. It maybe a breach of rules but not stealing.

That said..........I suspect a disciplinary meeting and some punishment.

It only stayed in school because the buyer realised the licencing wouldn!!!8217;t work. Not because of the OP !!!8216;keeping it in school!!!8217;

She also has no proof of what she would have spent the sale money on.

It!!!8217;s definitely stealing. She attempted to permanently deprive the school of that item.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    It only stayed in school because the buyer realised the licencing wouldn!!!8217;t work. Not because of the OP !!!8216;keeping it in school!!!8217;

She also has no proof of what she would have spent the sale money on.

It!!!8217;s definitely stealing. She attempted to permanently deprive the school of that item.

There are lots of Ifs and buts..........I answer assuming the OP is telling the true.

No, that's not what the Op said..............

I know ignorance is no defence in a court of law but I was blissfully unaware that what I was doing was wrong and had all the good intentions of using the money made to reinvest in more resources for the students I teach.

Maybe wrong but not stealing in my book.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    I get issued a pair of work boots once a year................now lets say I sell them on Ebay and purchased another pair I like for work for the same price.

That maybe wrong and I suspect against policy for a number of reasons but its not stealing in my mind. Then again, maybe its just me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure