Leakage Test.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 March 2018 at 3:58PM in Water bills
My latest water bill is a lot more expensive than previous bills so my water company has asked me to do a leakage test.
My question is .... does the small cog in the middle of the meter still slightly spin ie. tick over even if you haven't used any water.
My readings are (omitting the 0s)
5722 (red numbers between 3) taken at 12.10pm
5722 (red number more towards 4) taken at 1.10pm
5722 (red number towards 5) taken at 2.30pm

I haven't turned any stopcocks off indoors and I also haven't used any water.
My water company will be ringing me Monday but I just want to check I've done the readings OK.
I think maybe the higher bill maybe me using more water rather than a leak but I still want to check just in case.
Any replies would be grateful.
Thank you

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There is water flowing if the meter has moved from 5722.3 @12 o'clock to 5722.5 @ 2.30.

About 200 litres worth... that's more than I use in a day!

TURN OFF your home's stopcock as the water co. suggested, which may identify the leak is external to your home (between meter and your stopcock) if the meter reading still increases; or, within your home's pipework and systems (e.g. overflowing toilet cistern, a common cause) if the meter stays on the same number.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2018 at 4:56PM
    My apologies I have now taken a photo of the meter and the reading are 00572. The red numbers are on 25. They were on 24 but no water was being used.
    I've since been told I only read the numbers in black and they haven't moved.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 6:40PM
    If the cog rotates, no matteer how slowly and the red numbers increase then you are using or losing water somewhere. You only read the black numbers for billing, you read the red ones to check for leaks

As suggested turn off the internal stopcock and make sure that the cog stops rotating completely and that the red numbers do not increase - wait at least an hour and make sure that no water comes out of any taps in doors.

If the cog moves or the red numbers increae whilst your internal stopcock is closed then it's likely that there's a leak between the meter and the stopcock. Ideally dont flush the loo or turn on any taps whilst this test is being carried out

If the check is OK then make sure all taps etc indoors are closed, dont use or flush the loo. Turn on the stopcock and see if any water flows (you might get 5-10 litres if someone flushed the loo whilst you did the last test.

If the cog starts to rotate (no matter how slowly) then something is leaking and you need to find out what it is. Check taps, toilet cisterns, overflows and the tank in the loft if you've got one. Most modern toilets overflow into the bowl, so look very carefully to make sure that there are no ripples in the water and that the back of the bowl is dry
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Thank you matelodave.
    Ive checked everywhere for leaks indoors and can't find any even though the water meter moved in those few hours.
    There's only me at the property.
  • I've just delved into the cold water tano and found that theres water dripping from the nut which is attached to the ballcock!!!
    You can't even hear the water drip!!
    What a nightmare. The arm of the ballcock is furred up as I rarely use the cold water tank!!
    I've adjusted the balclock to stop the drips. I wonder if I'll get a leakage allowance !!!55357;!!!56849;. My bill has risen by £113 in 3 months.
    I'm gutted as I couldn't even hear the water drip or even see it as it's all under a cover in a large tall cupboard. !!!55357;!!!56864;
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    It's surprising how much water can get wasted with a dripping tap or ballcock
    It's worth reading your meter yourself regularly so you can get a feel for how much you use because it makes it obvious when something goes awry - your readings suddenly increase.

We discovered a leak under the drive when my monthly reading suddenly increased from an average of 6cu.m/month to nigh on 40 in one month - managed to sort it out before the drive and foundations got undermined.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Quote: "I've just delved into the cold water tano and found that theres water dripping from the nut which is attached to the ballcock"

OP now go back and do the leak test again.

What you describe is quite normal, the valve drips for ages until the (slowly) rising water level eventually closes it. By lowering the ballcock to stop the drip all you proved is the valve is working correctly.
  • I took my eye off the ball I'm afraid.
    I religiously read my water meter every 3 months when the bill arrives. But in December I didn't as it was snowing here. I just paid it as although it was estimated it was around the right figure.
    How wrong was I. The leak must've been going on at least 6 months. And not being able to hear it or see it or could've gone on for longer.
    Ive rechecked the ballcock this morning after using water. It's stopped dripping and I've checked the nut etc. Being a 5dt 2 female I can tell you that wasn't easy
    I've taken another reading this morning at 10.15am and the dial wasn't moving and the red numbers weren't either.
    I'm going to take another reading in a few hours after work. So no water wouldve been used.
    My water company are ringing me tomorrow.
    I'm upset that I took my eye off the ball but also know it could've been a lot more expensive if I hadn't come to you guys for help and information.
    If I have to replace the parts I'll call a plumber as I'm not fall enought or confident enought to tackle the job myself.
    Thanks again. And fingers crossed the meter doesn't move by the time I get home to read it.
  • Excuse my spelling mistakes. It won't let me edit the post atom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure