Intelligent Finance Power of Attorney help needed

Options
southwinds
southwinds Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 1 October 2016 at 4:35PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
I have just obtained POA for all of Dads accounts ..one is with IF who tell me as they are an online account now..they don't let POA access them due to security issues.

Does anyone know how or what I can do...should we need this money...for care bills or care home fees
thank you

yes I have sent them the POA paperwork and my name is on the account but I seem to not be able to access funds . So should I have care homes bills to pay how would I . Has any one any suggestions. They tell me they are online only but POA people cant access the online service and Dad cant which is why I am doing things for him.

Comments

• BlondBoy
    BlondBoy Posts: 186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Close the account using the POA would be simplest. They'll need to see the document, so they'll have to deal with you by post in any case on this, regardless of being an online bank.

If you're not in a hurry, make the request in writing, enclose the POA (check whether they need an original or whether a copy will do) and ask them for a cheque payable to your Dad.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If IF don't allow internet access to Attorney, you can open an account as PoA with a bank that does.

A relative has PoA for a family member and uses on line banking with (inter alia) Barclays.
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they do except a copy of the POA, I would think it would need to be a certified copy.

If you do send either document by post, it would be wise to send it by registered delivery or at least by recorded post.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely all you need to do is ask your dad for his IF login details - POA means you are acting as if you are that person, not as a third party gaining access to the account.
  • southwinds
    Options
    I have POA on the IF account... they have had the paperwork... BUT i cant have a cheque book or bank card as with other bank accounts... IF say they are on line only as they dont allow POA people access to the account and Dad has alzihimers so asking for his log on is impossible.
    He used to use the savings facility via Halifax BS so they would use the PC for him in there. I doubt he ever logged on in his life. Now IF is part of LLoyds but basicly they dont excist so I have a large sum of money in a currant account and no means of accessing it.
  • southwinds
    Options
    I have POA on this account IF have processed it BUT the reason I have this is Dad has alizhimers so doubt he ever logged on anyway he used the facility via Halifax when IF was part of that group.
  • southwinds
    Options
    Certified cope sent and accepted by IF .. but they dont send out a chq book or debit card and tell me they are online only BUT the POA cant access the account on line. so Im stuck wondering what to do. Icant be the only one this has happened to so hoping somebody knows what I can do what my rights are .
  • BlondBoy
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Surely all you need to do is ask your dad for his IF login details - POA means you are acting as if you are that person, not as a third party gaining access to the account.

No, it doesn't. You're appointed by the donor to manage their affairs on their behalf. Legally, you don't act 'as if you are' that person, you're their representative.

Policy on internet banking access for attorneys varies from bank to bank. Some say 'never', some say 'any attorney can act', others say 'If there's more than one attorney, none can access online'. IF seem to fall into the first category.

Realistically, yes, the OP could do as you suggest. But having been an attorney myself, the last thing I'd do is go logging into a donor's accounts without proper authorisation at the bank's end. Everything could well be fine and nothing may ever come of it. But if there are complications, it could make things very difficult as you then have to tell the bank you've logged into someone else's account without permission.
  • BlondBoy
    edited 1 October 2016 at 4:56PM
    Options
    southwinds wrote: »
    Certified cope sent and accepted by IF .. but they dont send out a chq book or debit card and tell me they are online only BUT the POA cant access the account on line. so Im stuck wondering what to do. Icant be the only one this has happened to so hoping somebody knows what I can do what my rights are .

As mentioned above, as they've received and recognised the POA, why not ask them to close the account and send a cheque payable to your Dad for the balance? Then open another account with a more attorney-friendly bank? HSBC were OK for me when I was an attorney, and others above have mentioned Barclays.

Also, You could probably also open a current account, as an attorney, with another bank and then using the current account switching service to move everything over and close down the IF account at the same time. That may save you trouble if there are direct debits and standing orders involved.

Would that clear up the problem for you?
  • southwinds
    Options
    Well Ive been in touch with the banking Ombudsman who are also puzzled . I have POA which IF accepted but they do not supply bank card or cheque books now and say its online only BUT as POA I cannot access his funds so I feel they are in a roundabout way asking me to close the account IF is now part of Bank of Scotland and seems its just running the IF side down now. So lets see what the Ombudsman come back with. Thanks for all the replies I was just curious to see if anyone else had issues with these old IF accounts .
    thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport