Overpaid - attempting to return the money

13»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mulder00 wrote: »
    Ok, just received a letter in the post dated two days ago saying that my resignation has been accepted and my last day of service would be the one back in February. They also kindly calculated my leave for me. It just gives some generic details about giving passes back to my manager, my P45 will be posted to me and confirmation that requests for references have to be done by post etc.

(It's just a very standard letter with nothing untoward in it other than the acceptance of resignation being so long after last day of service!).

It also gives me a reference number for the letter and phone number if I want to discuss it.
    Mulder00 wrote: »
    Finally received a very apologetic letter from them with a calculation of the exact overpayment. And of course, now they want repayment to be done by cheque! What century are we in? Weren't cheques meant to be phased out already? I don't own a cheque book, the same as I don't have stationery for posting letters lying around. We are in 2018, people use emails, people do electronic bank transfers. I should have just bought a bunch of stamps, because now I'm going to have to write another letter! I feel like I'm living in the 1900's with all these letters!!

Phone?

• Mulder00
    Mulder00 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    custardy wrote: »
    Phone?

Hahaha - I'm such an idiot. I was focusing so much on the over payment letter where it said to write to the address if I want to discuss the matter further, but the person who wrote the letter actually left their direct line details too. I'll be phoning them on Monday.

Thanks for pointing out what should really be obvious!! :T
  • view
    view Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's no right way of doing the wrong thing. You're doing the right honest thing by paying it back and not trying to see if you can find a loophole.
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Out of interest. What happens with the additional tax / NI / Pension that will have been taken off the original (Gross) salary?

Would tax be a repayment from HMRC at the end of the tax year?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure