vintagegirl Posts: 769
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i have adjusted the soa. its correct
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I suggest you take a fair chunk of extra and put it into a household upkeep budget. Things like boiler servicing, dead washing machines, repainting, carpets etc aren't cheap and will eventually come up.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Are you somewhere that you don't need to pay water rates?
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not quite sure why you're posting your SOA and when suggestions are made (re mobile phone cost) you disregard them. I'm on a SIM only deal and pay £10 a month and I know you can get unlimited everything (incl data) for less than £20 pcm. That'd be an extra £110 in your pocket every month (if it's just your mobile) or £90 minimum for both of you.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • In your second SOA you say there are three adults in the household. Has the third one got an income?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,445
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    You show a healthy surplus so I don't really see an issue with any of your spends. Yes, you can cut back more but as you can afford it if I were you I think I would take a judgement call on all the expensive categories like mobiles and if you are happy with it then that's fine.

You now need to move into a different type of budgeting. Savings is the magic word here. Long term for pension, children maybe or overpaying the mortgage. Medium term for cars and home improvements and short term for xmas, gifts, annual bills and holidays.

An emergency fund is a must as you have a car and a house. So saving for that should be your first priority. Then allocate percentages to the short term, medium term and long term savings and put money aside at the beginning of each month after you are paid. Where you save is the next thing to decide. Our preference was long term savings were divided between mortgage overpayments, pension and stocks and shares isas. Medium term savings were usually regular savers as they usually only needed accessing once a year. Internet saver or high interest current account for short term or lump short term and medium term in together.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks for all your help. No we don’t pay water separate in Scotland; that’s in with the council tax.
    How much would you recommend as an emergency fund
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Here we try and keep a pot of 6 months outgoings plus 10% as an emergency fund but however much you choose to save for emergencies is your choice.

My mate tries to keep 6 months income for emergencies - he says what if you lose your job, have an accident, etc where will your income come from?
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 979
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are in the exceptional situation of being afford to put one salary aside every month. Make adjustments as suggested and as soon as you or partner get paid, send one salary straight to savings. £260 mortgage - in my dreams .... :)
  • vintagegirl
    vintagegirl Posts: 769
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for their reply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts