Child benefit help

I've recently had a bill through the door for three previous tax years where apparently I owe back child benifit, this is despite never claiming it, or receiving a penny of it, my wife deals with all that, and neither of us were ever told about a change in the law! On top of that I've been fined for not filing tax returns despite being PAYE, surely they can't change the law, not tell you then leave you to build up debt for 4 years that you have no idea about then land you with a huge bill?? Can I challenge this legally?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well do you earn over the threshold? (either you or your wife)
    I doubt you've been fined for not filling tax returns, but rather not updating your claim.

Ofcourse the law can change without you being told, it happens quite regularly. It's down to you to keep up to date with things - especially those likely to affect you
  • There has been a lot of press and news about those earning over 50k having to declare and possibly repay child benefit (50k to 60k is tapered and over 60k you get nothing)

They may not have told you personally but there was a lot of advertising about it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • someone has legally challenged it and failed

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKFTT/TC/2017/TC05577.html
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • The above posts were back in November of last year, has anyone heard anything new about High Earner Child Benifit Charge? I'ev been informed that I've not paid or informed HMRC for four years resulting in a liability of just under £5000!!!

I've read the above info where the challenge failed at apeal, but I'm horrified. I have no idea how I'm gonna pay this bill and I genuinely had no idea about the change in the law until I got this notice from HMRC on the 16th of January 2018.

How is it that not knowing is not a valid reason? It's the only reason I've not complied. I'm happy to pay the tax I owe which is around £3891, but the penalties and interest as a result of not dealing with this sooner, I believe are unfair (because I had no clue there was an issue).
  • @Comms69, yes you do get penalties for not filling out your tax returns. Once you're in a position where you need to, which this law change makes us. You have by the end of January the following year to submit your returns or face penalties! Even though, in our case, we had no idea we needed to.
    @Steb33, I totally agree with you, I believe it's totally unacceptable to advertise something and then punish people by means of fines/penalties for not seeing those adverts (or at least not paying them any attention, I don't pay any billboards attention and I don't watch TV ads where are the rules that say it's mandatory to pay attention to TV ads)!! At least send us a letter or an email. HMRC complain of not having the resources to send letters to everyone but we all know that's an absolute lie. They absolutely know who has children and earns over £50,000 annually in each of their Tax Office regions; I bet it's not that large a number.

The legal challenge above must have been a really poor lawyer. I'm already in a debt management program and now I have a new debt that I have no idea how I'm going to pay. Looks like I'm gonna have to get into some dodgy scheme to release equity from my home! Please, please, please, vote anything other than conservative at the next election!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure