Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day

Comments

• Day 3 of not getting home before 7pm, and I'm starting to feel it. My last appointment was supposed to be 5.20 but I still had people in after 6pm. Not that I mind - it's part of my job - just a bit tired now. Still no marking done though, and that will become a bit of a worry if I don't sort it out soon...
    Got a better night's sleep (on the sofa) last night. Started trying to chat with ds about potentially getting him back into his own bed but it went down like a lead balloon. I'm seriously now considering buying him a new, adult sized bed so that I can decamp there if I really need to. He has a cabin bed at the moment so I don't want to be climbing in there. Trouble is that I don't have the spare money for a new bed, and it seems unfair that it's what dd got for Christmas. I've tried a few more suggestions so I'm hoping that something might happen soon. It's been almost 4 months now and I think we need to try and change things.
    Other than that, not much else to report. Work, home, sleep and repeat...
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Maybe try free cycle or Streetlife for a bed? You never know who is getting rid of what.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Sorry things are so tough at the moment ccl.

I 2nd Bobarellas suggestion of free cycle or maybe gumtree. I've also seen a few people on a facebook group make a bed out of some ikea kallax units. I'm not sure if it would work out cheaper than a bed though!
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • Well I was [STRIKE]in bed [/STRIKE]on the sofa and asleep not long after 10 last night, and I went right through until 5am without waking. Thanks for the ideas about beds - I'll have a think about it. To be honest, ds is doing my head in tonight and I can't be bothered thinking about anything to do with the sleep situation. You'd think that after a good night I'd be raring to go this morning, but I felt like I'd been run over and I could have slept another couple of hours easily. I've never really gotten going all day, and that's the rest of the week just catching up with me... it's been a long and skint week. I can't remember the last time money was this tight at the end of the month. I worked out today that when I get paid on Tuesday next week it will be 41 days since I was last paid. That's a long time. It's just made things crystal clear to me that I need to get more savings behind me. There's so much the house needs and that I want but I just never seem to have enough money to do these things. Time to take stock, prioritise and get on with some real saving. I shouldn't be earning the money I do and be this skint.
    I've decided to have the night off tonight. I left work at 4pm and have spent most of the evening in front of the telly, freezing my backside off even though the heating is on. I really wish I was in bed now, but it's only seven o'clock. There's a lot of guilt but I am really tired tonight so I wouldn't be that productive anyway.
    Right. I'm just waffling. Time to get on and do something.
  • Sorry to read that the uninterrupted sleep has not helped your tiredness. Fingers crossed for another long stretch tonight.

I was shocked when I did YNAB for the first time and realised how much income we have per month - yet we have nothing to show for it.

I am not sure how you and DH sort your finances but from what I read before I think he gives you a set amount or what he can afford and then he keeps the rest for himself whereas you give all your wages towards running the household/kids etc. I know you have a PT but I bet that is hardly any money.

Would it be possible to review the finances to do things more fairly and without you feeling that everything that needs doing in the house is your responsibility?
  • 41 days is hard going - you just chill tonight (pardon the pun), get through weekend and then monday you can say yey payday tomorrow!

try not to think that u are skint as it gets you down (speaking fm experience) ... hope you get a good night :)
  • To be honest EE - I think that the finances are already pretty fair - I earn about twice what he does and contribute about twice what he does to the running of the house. It's how we've always done it, and usually if I need more money he'll hand it over. However, maybe it is time for a bit of a rethink - the situation has been like that for 7 years now... I'll have a look over it at half term. I'm just not in a good frame of mind for anything at the moment. Right old grump I am. :D
    You're right TCAL - I just need to think about days till payday.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Cat

I remember reading somewhere that 'should-ing' & 'must-ing' are not helpful to our ability to achieve. You have options to consider about saving for projects for the house yes, but don't feel you 'should' have more to show for your wages than you have. You've kept your family going and that is amazing all on its own .

Just my little pep talk.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Fanfare please... :whistle:_party_ (that's as close as I can manage) I have had a GOOD day today. I'm starting to sleep pretty soundly on the sofa now so woke up of my own accord just before 6am and felt better than I have done all week. :D Maybe because it's Friday, maybe because it's another day closer to payday - who knows?
    Got to school and got 2 sets of books marked during my free :T:dance: and also some photocopying in for the week ahead. And 3 free cups of tea thanks to our new Head providing that for us before school and during break. I even didn't mind being outside in zero degrees on duty at break time. Lessons went bizarrely well all day and then I came home at 4pm again and didn't have to bring anything with me!!! :j
    Checked banking and found that lovely dh had been paid and transferred money to my account. I know it's February money but I'm a happy bunny that my balance looks a little healthier. I will see if I can leave it alone but it's nice to know that it's there :cheesy:
    Got home. Freezing. Utterly freezing. I really do want a new door now - I swear it's colder inside our front door than it is outside. Hands are numb typing, and heating is on and I've had a cuppa as well. No matter, I'll be snuggling for the night in a minute.
    Must remember to focus on days like this when things are going well.
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    So pleased you have had a good day CCL :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport