HMRC owe me money & have said as much, but aren't sending it - what else can I do?

Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this - I am at a bit of a loss and could use advice, but am equally as happy to be pointed in the right direction somewhere else.
HMRC owe me a substantial amount (suffice to say, enough to make a difference to my life/take the strain off my shoulders) from what is now the tax year before last (2016-2017). They sent a cheque thingie for it, but I was away from home and so didn't receive it until after the time limit to pay it in.
I used the webchat and asked for a replacement to be sent, the adviser assured me it would be but cautioned that it might take 6-8 weeks. I said thanks very much, and waited. It never arrived. I called the helpline, waited on hold more than an hour, and told them what had happened; they said it would be sent, but might take 6-8 weeks.
Nothing ever arrived.
I don't know what else to do. I work, and study in the evenings, so it is a pain to have to find an hour plus to ring the phone line (webchat seems to be permanently offline now), and worse, every time I contact them I end up waiting another 6-8 weeks for nothing to happen. Is there anything else I can try? Some kind of express way of handling things (like you can go in-person for a sameday passport!), someone I can complain to that might get it done quickly, etc?
Thanks so much for your help - much appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ellation wrote: »
    They sent a cheque thingie for it

A what now?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ellation wrote: »
    They sent a cheque thingie for it, but I was away from home and so didn't receive it until after the time limit to pay it in.

You were not at home for over 6 months? And you complain about them being slow?

Even then most cheques's just pass though without issue. So you were unlucky.
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I can hazard a guess at the reason for the delay
    You claim never to have received the payable order HMRC sent you - HMRC have to verify that the payable order has NOT been cashed, cancel it and then recredit the balance back onto whichever Head Of Duty the overpayment had arisen on.
    They then have to reissue the payable order to you for you to cash.
    As you have discovered this all takes time.

If the overpayment has arisen on your SA account , if you provide your bank sort code & account number it can be repaid into your bank account.
    If it is from PAYE , then it has to be by payable order.
    In order to improve customer service HMRC closed ALL their enquiry offices about 3 years ago.
    As you have discovered the only way to speak to them is by phone or by setting up a Personal Tax Account and emailing them from that
    (You could write to them but it can take so long for them to reply you may get your refund before they reply).
    When did you first contact them with regards to this problem ?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In order to improve customer service HMRC closed ALL their enquiry offices about 3 years ago.

Your tongue is firmly in your cheek I trust!:)
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    xylophone wrote: »
    Your tongue is firmly in your cheek I trust!:)

Most definitely !:D:D
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    So you work / study 7 days a week ? The best time to speak to the tax office is first thing Sat / Sun morning, usually about 5 minutes before the official opening time. Where is this payable order now ? Have you queried sending it back to them so they can see it will not be cashed and send a new one out ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure