Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Well, I've been online and filled in the form, fingers crossed for the tax relief, now I got some laundry to do (mainly work shirts, which is what reminded me to do this)
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Got a cheque for £24 for the past year's work + tax cut for this year! Thank you!!
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Yay! My tax code has been changed and a rebate for the previous years is on the way!

Now I need the badge!
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Got this recently for myself after joining the emergency services with a requirement to wear a uniform every day. It's not a huge amount, but there are two of us wearing the same uniform so we've both claimed.
  • I applied for the uniform tax rebate for the last 4 years. Received a letter today saying I had already been getting an allowance for it (never applied before) and an email saying my tax code had changed and that I owed them money for this year ? Don’t understand it at all as my tax code had gone from 1106L to 1139L since getting in touch with them ?
    Has anyone else had this?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tjayne wrote: »
    I applied for the uniform tax rebate for the last 4 years. Received a letter today saying I had already been getting an allowance for it (never applied before) and an email saying my tax code had changed and that I owed them money for this year ? Don’t understand it at all as my tax code had gone from 1106L to 1139L since getting in touch with them ?
    Has anyone else had this?
    please explain exactly what was on your code notice that shows how they calculated the change. It is normally written in plain English.
  • It has changed again. It says my tax code is now 1128LX and that my personal allowance has been reduced by £104 to collect the £20.80 still due. It says I will pay tax at 20% on an extra £104 of my income and will be spread over the tax year so it is collected in equal instalments. On checking my tax free amount the £60 is now on there and checking back it says I paid the right amount of tax on previous years. This has only happened since I applied for the clothing rebate. :(
  • It might help if you told us what your tax code was on your P60's for the last year or two.

For example if it was 1156L for 2017:18 then that is a strong indication you were already getting an additional £60 tax free amount, presumably some form of expense allowance like laundry.

The standard code would have been 1150L.
  • doodlez1612
    doodlez1612 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    edited 19 August 2018 at 8:45AM
    Tjayne,

The tax free allowance increased in April from £11500 to £11850 so the standard code from then on would be 1185L. The fact yours shows a lower tax free allowance (1128LX = £11280) is just because that is how they get the extra payment.

The X refers to it being a non-cumulative tax code. Quick google brought up the following:
    An 'X' means Month 1 or Week 1 basis, so your tax-free amount based on the code is divided by 12 or 52 and applied to your gross pay in that month or week.

In other words they just look at it on a payslip by payslip basis rather than as a year as a whole and this tends to result in overpayment apparently.

So I think that is why you are now having to pay money back. It is nothing to do with the uniform refund. It is purely coincidence.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Planning to examine son's payslip carefully.

He has only just started, but is washing & ironing his uniform diligently & getting even a couple of pounds for that will help me keep him maintaining that standard!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback