PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Management co. fees for info

Options
I have agreed sale of a 2 bed leasehold flat, part of a managed block. I provided my solicitor with details of the last 3 years management fees, insurance etc but he has some further questions for the management company to satisfy the purchasers solicitor. The management company will not answer these few questions but instead refer to their list of pre-sales enquiry option packs. The ones required to answer the questions cost me £534! These packs contain a mass of unnecessary info, most of which I have provided and :angry:much of which is freely available/public domain!!
Does anyone think I have any chance of challenging this fee?

Comments

• economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    Well you can always ask but if they say no then you have to pay up if you want to sell!

TBH legally they don't even have to provide anything and so technically you may never be able to sell to a buyer who requires the management pack!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    the joys of buying a leasehold flat, you are at the mercy of the management or in this case 'The Syndicate'
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    TBH legally they don't even have to provide anything and so technically you may never be able to sell to a buyer who requires the management pack!

Each case is different.
    AFAIK the managing agent is typically appointed by the freeholder, or is a company owned by the freeholder itself (hello, overcharging…). Leaseholders tend not to have any direct contractual relationship with the managing agent, bust most leases would stipulate that the freeholder would somehow collaborate with leasehoders selling their lease, e.g. provide up to date statements, etc. There is, of course, very little recourse against unreasonable fees.
    The leaseholders of a development in Vauxhall (London) won a case which made the headlines: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-2039128/MARKET-WATCH-Flat-owners-win-record-1m-payout.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure