Anyone come across Hampshire & Surrey Home Improvements?

Anyone come across Hampshire & Surrey Home Improvements? I have had several roofers around recently touting for business as I have a tile down in my gutter (which I know about) and they have these generic trade business cards, well actually a postcard really and it seems like some sort of franchise.

The roofer who knocked me up yesterday was at pains to say he was local. There was a local trading estate address on the trade card as well as a head office. He was wearing a t shirt saying H & S Home Improvements. However they do not have a website and there are no endorsements from trade bodies on the cards and the only phone number was the head office, a long way from me, in Hampshire (where I do not live incidentally.) I cannot find them online.

Comments

• teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    No reputable company goes around knocking on peoples doors touting for work.

Why would you even consider using them?
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    actually they do it here all the time. We are a pretty residential area but near a main motorway and often we will get a tree surgeon who has finished the job they cam to do early and looking for another one before they go home.

On this occasion the tile is in the front gutter and easily accessible by any able chap with a long ladder, just in case it starts to block the gutter. The roof repair would be another thing.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    littlerock wrote: »
    actually they do it here all the time.
    No they don't.

As said earlier...
    teneighty wrote: »
    No reputable company goes around knocking on peoples doors touting for work.
    The companies that knock on your door 'all the time' are not reputable.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 8:49AM
    littlerock wrote: »
    actually they do it here all the time. We are a pretty residential area but near a main motorway and often we will get a tree surgeon who has finished the job they cam to do early and looking for another one before they go home.

On this occasion the tile is in the front gutter and easily accessible by any able chap with a long ladder, just in case it starts to block the gutter. The roof repair would be another thing.

Well the "tree surgeon" will probably have a ladder so he can fix the tile. He'll probably tarmac your drive and jet wash your patio while he's at it, having just finished another job around the corner early and has probably got some materials left over so he'll do it cheap.

Do people really still fall for this scam?
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have had a couple of my trees pruned perfectly well by respectable guys from tree surgeons who have finished early locally and are looking to pick up a bit of pocket money before going home. I will not give their company names because it was done off the record by well known tree surgeons staff.

And separately I did have some work done on my roof earlier this year, by a guy I got from Checkatrade top rated locally 9.9 (the tile came down more recently.) He said work had been very slow for local roofers this year.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Work is slow for no reputable builder.

I have to fend people off telling them we're booked up for absolutely ages and they just accept it. Then I have to find another reason to say no. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • If only I had read these posts back in August 2017 I would not have got caught for a four figure sum. The address for this individual is Unit 498, 5 Spur Road, Isleworth, TW7 5BD. It is simply a letterbox in a shop and UNIT 498 is a total invention. The individual is Andrew D Woodin and he has or had a Barclays bank account. I have attempted to use the Trading Standards Service to track his real address with no success. If anybody has seen his van declaring his trading Name, Hampshire and Surrey Home Improvements in their area I would be pleased to hear or advice as to how I take him to court without his address I would be grateful. GullibleOne
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure