Hastings Direct - USELESS!

13»

Comments

• Mikey17
    Mikey17 Posts: 135 Forumite
    I've just had my Hastings Direct renewal which was £260. I looked at comparison sites and found cheaper deals including Hastings Direct. The online quote from HD was not only cheaper but included some form of breakdown cover, legal protection, NCD protection etc.
    So I thought whoever I go with I will do it online as a new customer. I had to ring HD as my policy was set to auto renew ( that annoys me ).
    On the phone they dropped the renewal price by £80. Call me stupid but that annoyed me even more. Told them no thanks.
    If they can drop it £ 80 why not quote that in the first place . They are all shisters
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My daughters car was insured with Hastings direct - last year cost £850+, this year they have quoted £900+ - i managed to get it for £450 via Go Girl.
  • My annual car insurance was bought a year ago with my debit card and the policy expired I cancelled the auto renew and they took £573 from my bank account unauthorised today leaving me with £8 to live on.

They have apologised, arranged a refund which can take up to 10 working days, I went mad and negotiated £10 then £25 in compensation.

How are they allowed to keep people’s card details? Seems unscrupulous behaviour. Made a complaint to financial ombudsman!
  • rockiedog
    rockiedog Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sold vehicle, insurance had 4 months left to run, NO refund!
    Can't say here want I think of this.
  • Mikey17
    Mikey17 Posts: 135 Forumite
    I cancelled the auto renew and they took £573 from my bank account unauthorised today leaving me with £8 to live on.

That is disgusting, I will keep an eye on mine to make sure they don't take any money from me
  • Hastings were the best price when doing comparisons. But and there is a big BUT . . . Hastings requested me to send in copies of mine and the named driver licenses, the email was sent on 28/11/19 giving me a deadline to send the details by 05/12/19. However I’m not very good with post and my phone is being fixed so I hadn’t checked my emails. I have my brothers old phone as he has just upgraded so decided to check my emails. And find that the policy is cancelled, I’ve been driving round without insurance for 4 days prior to opening this email. Have been Insured for over a month thinking everything is ok!

So having nothing to hide I phoned them up, and asked If i can send in the documents today. Now again having nothing to hide. Hastings have refused my request to send the documents and cancelled my policy! resulting in my new car insurance quotes, going up, over a thousand pounds! as I have to declare now that I’ve had a policy cancelled! All at Christmas!.

I have made a complaint. Giving the service I have received, there isn’t much hope and now believe I will have to suffer financially for the next few years due to a miscommunication which feels like it could be resolved much much easier.

Feel like it may be an issue for the financial ombudsman.

For now, advice would be to stay clear.
    I have made a complaint and will look to get the cancellation against my name amended.
    For now I’m unsure what to do for Christmas as I need to drive but an extra £1000 is a game changer.

Hope this helps anyone reading.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Spencer529 wrote: »
    Hastings were the best price when doing comparisons. But and there is a big BUT . . . Hastings requested me to send in copies of mine and the named driver licenses, the email was sent on 28/11/19 giving me a deadline to send the details by 05/12/19. However I’m not very good with post and my phone is being fixed so I hadn’t checked my emails. I have my brothers old phone as he has just upgraded so decided to check my emails. And find that the policy is cancelled, I’ve been driving round without insurance for 4 days prior to opening this email. Have been Insured for over a month thinking everything is ok!

So having nothing to hide I phoned them up, and asked If i can send in the documents today. Now again having nothing to hide. Hastings have refused my request to send the documents and cancelled my policy! resulting in my new car insurance quotes, going up, over a thousand pounds! as I have to declare now that I’ve had a policy cancelled! All at Christmas!.

I have made a complaint. Giving the service I have received, there isn’t much hope and now believe I will have to suffer financially for the next few years due to a miscommunication which feels like it could be resolved much much easier.

Feel like it may be an issue for the financial ombudsman.

For now, advice would be to stay clear.
    I have made a complaint and will look to get the cancellation against my name amended.
    For now I’m unsure what to do for Christmas as I need to drive but an extra £1000 is a game changer.

Hope this helps anyone reading.

LOL Anybody reading would have sent the copies requested before the deadline.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Hasbeen wrote: »
    LOL Anybody reading would have sent the copies requested before the deadline.

Hardly a LOL; people have busy and complicated lives and I know some people who work away for weeks at a time with no internet, so this type of thing, demanding docs within 7 days, and then cancelling is poor practice at the very least. The insurer should have got all the docs they wanted before taking the money initially. They should have tried contacting the policyholder by phone before cancelling.
  • I had an email from Hastings direct today reminding me that my insurance runs out next month and I'm set for automatic renewal. Their quote for next year was higher than what I've paid for this year. I ran a search through a comparison site and found another company company offering cover for substantially less. I'm disappointed that Hastings Direct thought I'd be too lazy to see what their competitors are offering, but I was then surprised to see that I can't cancel the automatic renewal online and I have to contact then via telephone only. They make it very easy to sign up with a few clicks of the mouse, but require people to jump through hoops to leave. Not great service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure