Can I represent wife in a joint DMP?

ferry
ferry Posts: 1,998
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 5 December 2019 at 9:57PM in Debt-free wannabe
We have finally decided that we need some breathing space from our debt to get some sort of life back. We are both aware of our debts ,incomes and outgoings so I can see no reason why we should not consider a joint DMP.

Firstly can anyone point out any pitfalls in handling matters in this way?
Also,as I would be a better point of contact with some experience already can I represent my wife in a joint DMP with her permission of course.

Thank you
:j

Comments

• WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Amount of debt - split between the two?

Each solution is individual so what might suit you, may not suit her. Have you both taken advice?
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 1,998
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    WhenIam64 wrote: »
    Amount of debt - split between the two?

Each solution is individual so what might suit you, may not suit her. Have you both taken advice?
    No not yet but her debt is slightly higher than mine but I am happy to help of course.
    :j
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Why not run the whole situation past someone like National Debtline?

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/Pages/default.aspx
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I ran a joint DMP and represented my husband, via StepChange - so it's pretty straightforward and easy to do. It wasn't my intention at first, it was my husband who contacted SC (on my advice) initially just to tackle his debt issue. I had debts, but they were a good deal less and I was happy to just continue on servicing mine, whilst helping him with his. But, after some thought - and realising we were better 'in it together' I agreed to put mine into the DMP.

Up to then we had separate bank accounts (on our second marriage and with separate expenditure demands due to paying for two sets of kids). Anyway that's another story. Whilst he had initially contacted them, they did advise that a joint DMP would get us both out of persistent debt far quicker (5 years) and all I had to do was speak personally to the same adviser and talk it through with him. The paperwork was then sent out and we both had to sign it.

From that point on I took care of managing the DMP - because he preferred it that way and continued on to the end.

So it's certainly doable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport