Discuss the Cheap Sanitary Products guide

articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi,

We've written a new Cheap Sanitary Products guide and would love your feedback.

Please let us know if it was helpful and if there are any other tips you'd add.

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I would question a lot of your numbers used in the calculations.
    What woman only uses 22 tampons or pads in a period?
    And the prices per item are based on the low absorbancy version. Most women need better than that for at least part of their period
    Zebras rock
  • There seems to be a thread for this already :)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789057
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • men who have had a radical prostatectomy (prostate removed) are left with a very weak bladder and they suffer leaks, they overcome this by wearing a pad, these as for women cost money and this can continue for years, so how about some help for us.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    +1 for the numbers being a bit light. Yes some women take oral contraceptives that spare them all this & others have gruesome heavy bleeds but to average female experience to 22 tampons or pads in a period is frankly hard to understand - please up the numbers (and consider those who use tampons And pads) &/or show your workings?

As for chaps who have equally valid issues, the incontinence products are somewhat different & you may be able to get help on prescription. It may well be a lottery & what is available on the NHS may not be as varied or as comfortable as TENA but you do have the option of asking. There's also bulk purchase over the internet which brings the price down even if your postie looks a bit wildeyed.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    fireman627 wrote: »
    men who have had a radical prostatectomy (prostate removed) are left with a very weak bladder and they suffer leaks, they overcome this by wearing a pad, these as for women cost money and this can continue for years, so how about some help for us.

Welcome to our world! Most women have to put up with paying a lot for sanitary products. Things like tena pads for women. Not sure if they'll work for men or not!

Also I'm one of the women who use less than 22 pads in a month! It's a fair bit less than that. I'm lucky as mine last 3-4 days (and I've never been on the pill). So the numbers may be average - some will be below, some will be above!

The guide is good - especially about own brand painkillers, not many people know the difference and spend more money on the same product
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Yeah I never had long periods so I don't think I've ever used as many as 22.

Own brand painkillers is an intresting one. In every other case I would go for the own brand option but I have never found an own brand equivalent to the one branded one that actually works for me. Not all formulations of Ibroprofen are the same it seems
  • Seeing as it is rather relevant at the moment with Brexit, I feel you should have pointed out that the Government is forced by the EU to impose the 5% tampon tax as the misogynist EU consider sanitary products to be a 'luxury' item...
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    fireman627 wrote: »
    men who have had a radical prostatectomy (prostate removed) are left with a very weak bladder and they suffer leaks, they overcome this by wearing a pad, these as for women cost money and this can continue for years, so how about some help for us.

that’s very true! Also what about very elderly people who need incontinence pads? My 95 year old Mum wears them and they are incredibly expensive. Many of them have already had to sell their homes to pay for their care so they really could do with some help in this matter.
  • Just wanted to add here that I've been using a menstrual cup for about 5 years now and have only just replaced my first one - that means 5 years worth of periods cost me just £25!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure