Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 8 Forumite
    Wow!
    They don't seem to learn.
    We will keep at it, thanks for the encouragement. I have no desire to let them get away with this. Our denied boarding was due to a "computer error" convieniently on a seriously overbooked flight.
    I am due to start a weekly commute to london and had the choice of KLM and VLM. Needless to say I have gone with VLM despite the lure of KLM lounge access.
    I know the hotel you mean near Schiphol - it is not the best!
    My husband is mulling over the logisitcs of the website. I'll let you know if we come up with anything.
  • Dear Trouble

If its any help, when we claimed for cancelled flights without prior notification with a low cost airline, we finally threatened them with a section of the new regulations which states that failure to comply with the compensation rates may result in the airline being fined £5,000 by the CAA. (Not sure whether that is per person or per claim). Either way this resulted in a cheque arriving by return post with no apologies throughout of course.

Keep it up, they try to wear you down.
    Laura Biding
  • Trouble
    Thanks Laura,
    I wanted to say that to them but my husband wouldn't let me :( He thought it was too threatening. I felt it was highly appropriate. We are just about to write again so I may photocopy just that paragraph of the regulation and attach it to the letter.
    This whole situation is mad. This week my aim is to find some legal advice over this.
    Thanks for the support,
    Trouble
    PS I had that user name in the Terry Wogan chat room once!
  • bigman3
    bigman3 Posts: 53 Forumite
    :j

Just had a cheque from KLM for the expenses. So that is claim 3 sorted.

Trouble,

The thing with airlines is that they think the general public are stupid. As Laura has written, it is sometimes best to remind them of their legal obligations.

See what you are legally entitled to. The following site is useful :

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=4407
  • Trouble
    Hurrah! I'm glad you have had success :)

We have a copy of the actual regulation and have quoted the relevant paragraphs to KLM but they are now disputing with us the content of the regulation. I have even sent them a copy.

So I have put in a claim to the dutch equivalent of the CAA and I'm going to find a legal type person to maybe write them a letter to try and speed them up. However the dutch authorities take 8 weeks to respond and only they will not enforce their conclusion, you then have to go to court.

They will only punnish airlines if they find that there a significant number of claims against a single airline. So KLM don't care about the 5000E fine because I sincerely think they think they will never be punnished.

Thanks for the link it was one of the really useful ones we found.
    This is where we got the regulation from:
    http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_046/l_04620040217en00010007.pdf
  • dOES ANYONE THINK OR KNOW IF THESE RULES APPLY:-

Flight to Maldives from Newcastle- took off on time however prior to flight we were told that due to a technical problem another plane/pilotes would have to be use. We had to fly to Bahrain due to pilots hours(pilot rest time etc) where we were put up for a day and then at 11.30pm got a bus to the airport and then flew to Maldives arriving 18 1/2 hrs late and shattered!!

I received letter from my holiday insurance stating sorry no payment as we took off on time!!

can I do anything about this and also can I claim from the airline or tour operator? :
  • jig
    jig Posts: 164 Forumite
    My parents had their flight cancelled for the return to London from Argentina, does this apply worldwide, what should I do??
  • I have just recieved a letter from the AUTC regarding Flybe (or FlyMAYbe as it is known here!). We were booked on two seperate flights from Belfast to Liverpool, and on both occasions the flight was 'delayed' from 07.05 to 10.05 - the reason given (after writing to Flybe) was that the flights were 'delayed' due to a lack of staff onboard. We noticed on BOTH occasions that the number of passengers transferred to the later flight (coincidentally the next scheduled flight) was less than 20. Quite clearly Flybe cancelled the earlier flight for financial reasons rather than the reason presented. Flybe did NOT offer any compensation, even after a complaint was submitted. A formal complaint to the AUTC resulted in a letter advising us to pursue the matter through the civil courts.

Incidentally, the AUTC told me they are now swamped with complaints, and are advising almost all complainants to sue the airline privately.

Has ANYONE successfully sued an airline under the EU Reg 261 yet?

I am flying again tomorrow.. Belfast - Liverpool and back again in the same day with Easyjet - fingers crossed!
  • The EU Reg 261 applies to ANY flight starting OR ending within a member country of the EU. Flights into or out of London are covered by the regulation. The Air Users Transport Council (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=306&pagetype=68&groupid=355) has advice on what to do. Good luck!
  • Please can someone confirm what exactly I am entitled to after my plane was delayed, arriving exactly five hours and one minute behind schedule due to technical problems.We actually had to wait for another aircraft to be flown in but our late arrival caused me to have to spend a night in a hotel plus hire a car for a week because I missed the last train to my destination and it was not viable to travel any of the following three days via this route.
    The airline did provide us with a £5 meal voucher after two hours.
    Thanks in advance JohnBJsy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure