Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Some good suggestions there greent, I like the idea of a Harry Potter theme, our cat is aunt petunia and the cat no longer with us was mrs. Norris :D
    Got to be Dobby surely :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Bernard? (any sex items randomly get called Bernard in this house!! :D)

The mind boggles!! :rotfl::rotfl:

I like Dobby :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    BERNARD !!!!!! why ?????
    CRx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    OH just randomly calls anyone Bernard (and anything - so cars are usually female (although my fave car was called Ronald) but could still get called Bernard here) Not sure why...… :rotfl:
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:

Well she has a name now -Geraldine :D it was nearly Dobby, but Dd loved Geraldine and we are both fans of the Vicar of Dibley, the car is happy with her new name.

Day off today :j going out for small amounts of shop mooching and large amounts of sitting an drinking coffee and chatting with best friend :D

Dh has transferred money from the business to our current account :T I could see the pain on his face as he did it :rotfl: so that’s an extra £361 pm to the mortgage for the time being. I need to check all the accounts and make some payments and reconcile everything. Food budget is still under what was budgeted for and I’ve not even spen5 my birthday money still. Although that may change today as there’s is a new massive Zara just opened in our shopping centre :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oops I’m not sure where yesterday’s post went!

Sunday I took the car out with the kids for a quick drink in a pub garden while the sun was out, I’m very pleased with it :D

Still staying on budget with the £20 a day - almost exactly on budget most of the time, had a fantastic tcb become payable at the weekend of £187 some of which will pay for the cruise parking as it’s partly my parents.

Weight loss strangely going ok still using mfp (mostly!) lost 1.5 lb this week and 2.75lb last week while managing to sneak a couple of smarties Easter eggs in :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    It’s a bit of a nothing time at the moment, I’m spending more time thinking of the future and worrying than enjoying life it feels like :o

A couple of people I know are moving out of the area and that’s made me feel a bit restless and envious if I’m honest. It seems a while since we had a new adventure!

I think more focus is needed here really, I’ve always felt quite happy bobbing along making being mf a priority but I guess the business problems and massively adding to the mortgage took the shine off in the last few months.

The reality is we are still in a good position and I’m sticking to the budgets that I’m setting, it just feels a bit flat. Perhaps it’s time to do a few mini challenges, £20 a day is going well and I don’t want to go lower really.

I’ll give it some thoought, any suggestions or a kick up the behind welcome :rotfl:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's just a lull, I'm sure Newgirly. Look at the bigger picture - you've raised three lovely children and have come so, so far from when you started this diary - both in terms of actual debts sorted and your attitude to spending money. It is a long slog and it must be heartbreaking to have been so close to being MF and then having to take on more debt, but you must be on course to still have beaten the mortgage by the time you're 50 I think? And you'll be footloose and child-free by then, with lots of money to spend on holidays and trips and so on. And consider the fact that now your DH isn't responsible for the business and working non-stop that it's much much better for his health.

Dare I ask how the pension situation is? Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but I can't remember!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Thanks vix, very kind words :) it’s true that hopefully the mortgage will be gone by the time I’m fifty (unless we do major work).

Pension wise, that’s something we should look out now, previously it wasn’t a priority as the mortgage was, due to the worry of the business having issues and also incase we wanted to move.

No idea what we currently have, dh has a couple of old private pensions and we both have work ones now, his is much larger. To be honest we are really looking at renting the factory out as a big chunk of our pension as it will be paid off in four and a half years. Definitely something I should look into though :)
  • newgirly
    Options
    It’s day three of my run of twelve days off :D I’m off to York Monday first thing with three friends, think I will be “mum In charge” on this trip organising everything :o Total cost so far £26 train fare and £20 pp cleaning charge. Although it’s fair enough to pay for the cleaning I must admit I was a little annoyed to find out my brother never pays when he goes with friends, perhaps that’s why he’s known as the favourite child by both of us!

Great morning yesterday taking Dd out for a drive to the shops in Geraldine where we spent £10 on 3 cds for her (Geraldine not Dd :D) then roof off and 90s RnB playing :)

I have birthday money still and wanted to get a p@ndora rose gold necklace, but in monseysaving style found a cheaper version somewhere else and bought that instead, really not happy with it and have just realised they don’t refund only exchange :( I’m going to swap it for something else for dd and still get the one I want I think- they are currently doing a free bracelet offer until Sunday too, surely this is what birthday money is meant for :D

Money shuffle done , mortgage paid and £360 extra op :T also have a car saving fund which will be filling up at a rate of knots as none of them have organised driving lessons yet, so it’s getting extra.

Happy weekend everyone :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback