Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 1:40 PM
    • 147Posts
    • 33Thanks
    lesta1980
    33 WOW
    pot hole on motorway caused a missed flight
    • 4th Mar 19, 1:40 PM
    33 WOW
    pot hole on motorway caused a missed flight 4th Mar 19 at 1:40 PM
    Hope this is in the correct place but need some advice please.

Wife was in a taxi heading to the airport when it hit a pot hole or something on the m1 which was a result of the roadworks (motorway recovery told my wife that). It resulted in my wife missing here flight. Had to book a hotel and stay at the airport and catch the same flight the next day, only had 1 seat in business class which cost 3500.

Problem was her initial flight had been booked with an agent who said it was non-refundable or transferable so BA said they couldn't do anything either.

Just checked her insurance and it seems to only cover 500 so obviously I'm going to be well out of pocket for something well out of my control. Whats the best thing to do to try and get a decent outcome?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 13-03-2019 at 9:04 AM.
Page 6
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 15th Mar 19, 6:33 AM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 3,720 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    BA do (kind of) have a "flat tire" rule. From the CoC:

3c4) If you need to change any aspect of your transportation because of events beyond your control, you must contact us as soon as possible. We will use reasonable efforts to transport you to your next stopover or final destination, without re-calculating the fare.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    This is the most useful piece of info in the whole thread and also handy to know for future

The ops wife may have a case for refund based on that statement.

The problem may be if the original flight was WT or WT+.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 15th Mar 19, 6:49 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    comeandgo
    But are these rules only for people who book direct with BA.? OP used an agency for booking.
    • Dean000000
    • By Dean000000 15th Mar 19, 7:17 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Dean000000
    It’s also aiirelevent as op’s wife neither did this (called ba) nor would she accept the next available flight....they booked instead a significantly more expensive ticket instead
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th Mar 19, 9:10 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    jpsartre
    The ops wife may have a case for refund based on that statement.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer

It depends what actions the OP's wife took (e.g. did she phone BA asap to inform them she would miss her flight?) and whether she was originally booked in Club (the OP hasn't clarified this).
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th Mar 19, 9:11 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    jpsartre
    But are these rules only for people who book direct with BA.? OP used an agency for booking.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

BA's conditions of carriage apply either way.
    • jinkssick
    • By jinkssick 15th Mar 19, 10:11 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    jinkssick
    It is true that people are quick to judge.

But what I do not understand is how she did not get a cheaper price for a seat. It would include many connections but there is no way 3.5k was cheapest seat. Not even days running up to a day or two before Xmas run more than 700. Even a ticket for tomorrow is 800.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th Mar 19, 10:28 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Even a ticket for tomorrow is 800.
    Originally posted by jinkssick

The OP's wife flew in Club. Those tickets won't be 800.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th Mar 19, 7:06 PM
    • 10,718 Posts
    • 12,141 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    It is true that people are quick to judge.

But what I do not understand is how she did not get a cheaper price for a seat. It would include many connections but there is no way 3.5k was cheapest seat. Not even days running up to a day or two before Xmas run more than 700. Even a ticket for tomorrow is 800.
    Originally posted by jinkssick
    Flights just before Christmas will be cheap at the moment as there is still plenty of availability on both BA and alternate airlines and flights tomorrow will also be fairly cheap because there is nothing special happening on St Lucia or Trinidad at the moment.

Try to get a flight a day or two before Carnival in Trinidad and even in the extremely unlikely chance of any availability, a seat in economy will easily cost 1200 with premium at least double this.
    • eAyeAddio
    • By eAyeAddio 18th Mar 19, 6:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    eAyeAddio
    ....... it was St Lucia when the cricket was on
    Originally posted by lesta1980

It would have been an option to fly coach to New York then on to St Lucia from there

The cost would would have been much, much less than 3,5k and flights from the US to St Lucia would have been available due to the lack of Americans' interest in an (to them) unfathomable game.....

When dealing with transportation difficulties it helps to be able to think outside the box......

• EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Mar 19, 9:12 AM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    It would have been an option to fly coach to New York then on to St Lucia from there

The cost would would have been much, much less than 3,5k and flights from the US to St Lucia would have been available due to the lack of Americans' interest in an (to them) unfathomable game.....

When dealing with transportation difficulties it helps to be able to think outside the box......

Originally posted by eAyeAddio
    NY does have a Caribbean based population.
    The only way to be sure was to have to have looked at the time. The OP's partner made her choice and will have to wait to see if anyone is willing to subsidise her Club World flight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,205Posts Today

6,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CityPoliceTell2: @MartinSLewis Really good that @MartinSLewis is being socially responsible in reminding people not to share their pers?

• Has anyone received a PPI payment recently - if so pls could you tweet me a photo of your payout statement - there'? https://t.co/6TEC6FxHIN

• RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Follow Martin