Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MonkeyUK
    • By MonkeyUK 14th Mar 19, 8:51 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MonkeyUK
    A bit lost/confused
    • 14th Mar 19, 8:51 PM
    A bit lost/confused 14th Mar 19 at 8:51 PM
    Hi everyone

I hope someone can help me, I've started looking at starting my PPI claim but am stumped at the first hurdle!

I bought a house with Taylors Countrywide and was basically forced to make a decision there and then to take the PPI as they told me I couldn't have a mortgage with it (the mortgage was with Nationwide). I think the PPI was with Taylors Countryside Insurance, but I think they changed their name(?)

The house was bought about 15 years ago and I was paying something like 80/m for the insurance

I haven't got any paperwork, and wondered how should I approach this?

I'm really confused, I've had mental health issues and am doing my best to get this sorted - thankyou for any help fellow MSE'ers
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Mar 19, 8:58 PM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 11,876 Thanks
    -taff
    • 14th Mar 19, 8:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 8:58 PM
    You will have to forget this complaint as it was sold to you by a firm that were not regulated at the time of selling.
    Also, it's possible if it was a broker who sold it to you that they were in effect taking payment for arranging the mortgage by you purchasing MPPI.
    • MonkeyUK
    • By MonkeyUK 14th Mar 19, 9:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MonkeyUK
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:48 PM
    That's interesting, as far as I remember, the person I was dealing with was some kind of independent finance person who operated within the estate agent(?)

Does that make a difference?

You will have to forget this complaint as it was sold to you by a firm that were not regulated at the time of selling.
    Also, it's possible if it was a broker who sold it to you that they were in effect taking payment for arranging the mortgage by you purchasing MPPI.
    Originally posted by -taff
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Mar 19, 9:49 PM
    • 21,198 Posts
    • 22,878 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:49 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:49 PM
    No. It's still pre regulation.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 19, 10:58 PM
    • 97,584 Posts
    • 65,699 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:58 PM
    That's interesting, as far as I remember, the person I was dealing with was some kind of independent finance person who operated within the estate agent(?)
    Doesn't matter. Insurance regulation didnt start until Jan 2005.

Countrywide didnt employ IFAs. (not that it would make any difference). They employed mortgage brokers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,027Posts Today

6,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Has anyone received a PPI payment recently - if so pls could you tweet me a photo of your payout statement - there'? https://t.co/6TEC6FxHIN

• RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Follow Martin