What career?

Options
Help I'm currently stuck in a hard situation I've been offered two jobs I don't currently work as my partner works away Monday to Friday I'm wanting to get a job now my children are a bit older 15 11 9 7 ive been offered one job in a local supermarket 16 hours a week 7 on a Sunday perfect as my partner will be at home then just the rest of the hours to sort childcare out as I have no help I'm panicking about the 6 weeks holidays already and the other job is working nights in a care home 22 hours a week 2 nights 12 hour shifts now I e got no idea what's the best option I've relied on my partner to be the breadwinner as his job as been fine supporting us while I had the pleasure of being a stay at home mom but we could really do with the extra money now and to chuck another spanner in the works I thought about going to college and studying health science my heads a mess and I've got no idea what to do HELP :(

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a piece of paper. Fold it into 4. Put Job 1 Reasons To at the top of one quarter, Job 2 Reasons To at the top of another. Then put Job 1 Reasons Not To in the quarter below Job 1, and Job 2 Reasons Not To below Job 2.

So Job 1 may pay more than Job 2, but you've got to find some childcare - how hard will that be, especially in holidays? Or Job 2 may pay more than Job 1, but will you need childcare pretty much all the time for that?

See we don't know what childcare options you've got (friends / family / childminder), or how sensible your children are.

But I would say that if longer term you're interested in studying health science then the Care Home job will be better in terms of relevant experience.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mkchalloner
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea the pay for both jobs are exactly the same the supermarket job is probably 2 5 hour shifts I the week more than likely the children will be at school it closes at 7 the latest as it's only in a village so no late nights and the care home my mother was going to stop at my house the two nights I would be working and then she would leave for her job when I come home from mine
    I had the same thinking as college as you about taking the care job as it would fit around me studying and also tie into that aswell but the course starts in September and it says I will be given a placement to go and work at so would I have to give up the supermarket job if I decide on that one anyway?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the same thinking as college as you about taking the care job as it would fit around me studying and also tie into that aswell but the course starts in September and it says I will be given a placement to go and work at so would I have to give up the supermarket job if I decide on that one anyway?
    Impossible to say. Part of the question is whether you'd be able to cope with lectures at college, studying at home, a placement AND a part-time job. And it would partly depend on the nature of the placement: we have social work students who are usually doing 4 days pw with us for a couple of terms, with the 5th day at college, BUT it's all weekdays and we have no expectation of them doing anything for us at the weekends. Which means if they have a weekend job, they can keep doing it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sounds like the care job will be easier to work round. your - mum is able to come and stay - just make sure that you do split nights in the school holidays then you won't need childcare during the day.
  • JamesBrown
    Options
    Please do a job in which you are interested. if you don't have interest in that job then you can't work in a proper way.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest the supermarket. More chance of "picking" your hours, fewer or more ... and "nobody dies" because you couldn't make it in to stack the peas on the shelf.

Any care home work has a huge responsibility and obligation to be "reliable and present" due to the vulnerability of the residents.

As you're just trying out working again for the first time, take the "easy option" to see how it works out because.... nobody dies if there aren't 24 cans of peas on the shelf at 4am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure