Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Oven Donation

Hi all

I have a two-year-old induction oven that I really would like to give to someone who needs it this christmas.

I know that I can ask somewhere like the BHF to collect, but as much as I love the BHF and donate clothes to them regularly, I went into an appliance version of their charity shop recently and I must say that I did not feel that the prices were priced very competitively or strategically for people who may be on a low income, and considering that I am only back to work a week ago now, I kind of know what I am talking about.

I have done a bit of a search, but not really found what I want. Does anyone know of a charity organization here in London that could pick it up and get it installed to someone in need?

Grateful for any responses.

Thanks

(PS I know about freecycle too, but I also know people who pick up items for resale. I could do that! I really want to donate this directly. Cheers.)

Comments

• Would a local homeless charity know of someone who has recently moved into their own place and is in need? Or a domestic abuse charity might know of a family that has to be rehoused and needing an oven - when we left our home town over forty years ago, we had only the clothes that we were wearing at the time.

I think that local recommendations from groups working directly with people in need might be your best option.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Salvation Army might be able to help, they are sometimes asked to support people following fires etc.

However one problem is that any charity passing this on will have to have it PA tested first (or some kind of electrical safety check), and you may not have left enough time for that to happen.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Salvation Army might be able to help, they are sometimes asked to support people following fires etc.

However one problem is that any charity passing this on will have to have it PA tested first (or some kind of electrical safety check), and you may not have left enough time for that to happen.

Hi just to clarify Portable Appliance Testing is not needed for an oven or wall lights in fact anything that needs to be fitted by a qualified electrician.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi just to clarify Portable Appliance Testing is not needed for an oven or wall lights in fact anything that needs to be fitted by a qualified electrician.
    Ah yes, but then that's another problem the OP will have had, finding a qualified electrician willing to fit, and another reason why charity shops might not want to pass on, because they can't guarantee the safety of the items, nor that the customer WILL use a qualified electrician instead of just bodging.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport