PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    NM Not the same but The Red House was where William Morris and friends hung out for some time . Think of it as a good sign .
    Would you prefer painted brick or your current home ? Once you get a few flowery pots going you might at some point health and finances permitting be able to do some herb and salad pots maybe even tomatoes etc . I feel not pushing your affordability rent wise by choosing to view this house has to be better for your peace of mind .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Can I suggest MOULIN ROUGE as an alternative, I know it's not a windmill but I know you've been round and round in a whirlwind finding it NM!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Can I suggest MOULIN ROUGE as an alternative, I know it's not a windmill but I know you've been round and round in a whirlwind finding it NM!

Not flashing her knickers then :rotfl:

NMSeriously, I hope that you get this place, red walls and all, to have a peaceful night's sleep will be worth it x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    :D William Morris's Red House is only a few roads away from me! It's lovely.
    If we see a group of middle-aged, "middle-class-looking" women (it's usually women) standing looking a bit confused on the corner near the railway station I ask them if they're looking for the Red House, and they always are :rotfl: Luckily it's easy to direct people to from the station.

fuddle I've been worrying about you all day! Glad you're feeling a bit better.

burtha If you're reading along when you have time, please know we are all thinking of you xx
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ivyleaf I wonder if you were living there went I went to see The Red House . It's over 20 years ago but we didn't need to ask a local the way . It is a very lovely arts and crafts house and you're fortunate to be so near .
    NM If you get this house and have a plaque :D call it home . You aren't responsible for any the look of the exterior so not your circus not your monkey . You will make a home inside as that's what matters with space for your belongings and washing drying in the fresh air on dry days . Some landlords after a certain length of tenancy will allow some paving to be removed to provide garden borders if you wish . You wont have the bin problems you do at present and will hopefully be able to sit in the sun and warm your joints on nice days .
    I would look at the pros and cons . You can't judge a book by it's cover . it seems to tick a number off boxes . Travel to work for your son , shops and bus services and somewhere to store the present bike and future motor bike plus room for an office that's a fair number of ticks .

Hester I feel so sad for your daughter . She's one of lifes grafters , fighting her mh issues and caring for her husband and children while working 3 jobs . As monna said you couldn't make these situations up when dealing with Gov departments . While so many could benefit from such a course your dd is too busy working and not needing to learn about seeking work as she's found it times 3.

A massive waste of money there while they pester her and someone else could use the support . Certainly if not already get advice from MIND along with Macmillan both are monnas quiet angels in real life . I never met any who were anything but kind , supportive and very knowledgable . I didn't mean Macmillan could help this situation but agreeing with previous posts about them .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • tunathe_cat
    tunathe_cat Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been trying to switch electricity suppliers all day. Mine runs out on 20th. They want £50 a month extra to stay with them but I have a feeling their computer refuses to let anyone leave.

I have found another suppler who want less than £50 a month in fact it is just over a tiny bit more than a third of the price I am paying.They have all gone up so this is a pleasant puzzle.

I had a look at my account for the last two years, It keep giving me a different type of meter to fill the numbers in 4, 5, or 6. It has never once
    given me the same twice in a row. When my older two were kids and I was trying to count stitches when knitting they would shout out random numbers all the time so I could not count. Well my record of my readings looks like that. No wonder they can't get it right.

I refuse to pay them £50 a month extra and then probably still have to have them again next year and so on until DS dies. They just will not sort anything out. I would like to be able to phone the ombudsman but I have to go through my present supplier. They will delay answering me for three or four months, then they will not have given an answer to the complaint so I will have to try again. I cannot even get their computer to allow me on the correct for for a formal complain. I have threatened them with the ombudsman 5 times in the last year. If I follow the correct procedure they wont so I still can't get to the ombudsman.

Has anyone got any ideas.

I am also trying to make a lasagna but it is going like plaiting fog. In my kitchen cooking is like trying to do one of those little puzzles you have to keep moving tiles but without the space to move them around. I always end up with my hands full and no where to cook. I told DS to expect dinner some time after my birthday 18/04/1018.

NM hello please ask your Macmillan nurse to refer you to the utilities team - if you use N power for gas/electric they have a special tariff - (they work out a monthly plan mine is £50 month for Electric which i pay by dd any electricity used over this is written off - again for gas ) please feel free to pm me andrea x
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't often post but always read. Really struggling today. DS2 is getting married later in the year. He and his partner both have DD's who will be bridesmaids. My problem is with his brothers wife, who for reasons I don't get, feels that her DD should also be a bridesmaid. My problems are, its none of her business, she hates my Ds2 and always has, she hardly knows the bride, and so on. I've already told her its down to the couple who they have and its no ones business but theirs. Which she didn't like.I'm sorry for my GD that she is in the middle of this when it should never have been an option unless she was asked. The other issue is that she has been telling anyone who will listen how hard done by her Dd is as she hasn't been asked to be BM. I'm so bloody cross with her and my DS for not nipping this in the bud. I don't want to fall out but feel she's crossed a line by taking it outside the family. What to do?
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Gran Weddings bring the best and worst out in people, at the end of the day it's down to the bride and groom who they want at their special day, people will get over their perceived hard-done-by'ness - serves em right for making assumptions x

We married 4 years ago and intentionally chose a venue that sat only 20 - we also decided to invite mainly friends with very few family, as friends are who we spent most of our time with. It caused a few miffed faces, but we had an amazing day surrounded by people that genuinely wanted to celebrate our happiness, not just have a free feed and something to brag about ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Granb, you're right. His brothers wife has no business for suggesting that and shame on her for dragging your DGD into it. I get really ticked off when, whether with a wedding or a funeral, far more people than those who actually should make the decisions feel the need to give their twopenneth. They should zip it and keep their noses out. Weddings are about the bride and groom, end of :mad:

There are a few things I feel strongly about :o
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Yup - it's up to the bride and groom who they choose. It's their day.
    Didn't have that problem fortunately. Only 6 at our wedding and 2 of them were us!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback