Repair and Protect appliance insurance

Hi,

Moved into my home a couple of months ago and trying to get to grips with how well each of the appliances work. The condenser tumble dryer seems to have an issue in that it seems to heat up way too much. Its an Indesit. They said i could get an engineer out and get it fixed for 125 quid including parts, callout, etc and 3 month guarantee. Or I could take a Repair and Protect insurance with them costing 8.75 a month for 12 months. This will include parts, callout, accidental damage etc for 12 months. No excess. If within the 12 months the appliance is deemed irrepairable, they will replace with a new one of same or better model. I can also add another appliance to this insurance for extra 4 quid a month. I asked them to send me the terms and conditions for this so i could understand any exclusions etc but they said they don't do that. I think it's unfair to ask people to sign up to something without giving them full details? Anyway, the customer service guy gave me the "major" exclusions on the phone (cosmetic - scratches and dents, malicious damage, indirect cost caused by breakdown). Their underwriters are D&G. Can someone tell me if this seems like an ok insurance to take? I am also not sure where i can go compare various appliance insurances. I find this interesting because it has no excess. Also, apparently, after 12 months, if i wanted to renew for another year, the cost would not go up if i had made claims on these the previous year. All they look for during renewal is if the appliances are still in good working order. Should i be worried about "good working order"? Seems vague.. :(

Comments

• nvas7407
    nvas7407 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Can anyone help please..:o:o
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Or just buy a brand new one for under £200?

Tried cleaning the filters and vents?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    So you are expected to sign up without the opportunity to read up on what you are signing up to??

If they refuse to let you see the policy first, then (if you want to deal with them) find out if you can cancel without any charges if when you get your 'plan' you aren't happy.

Usually these types of "cover' aren't insurance policies with all their regulations but warranty agreements which aren't covered by FOS protection for the consumer
  • nvas7407
    Or just buy a brand new one for under £200?

Tried cleaning the filters and vents?
    I cleaned the vents, filter and condenser. Will i get a good dryer for less than 200?
  • nvas7407
    Quentin wrote: »
    So you are expected to sign up without the opportunity to read up on what you are signing up to??

If they refuse to let you see the policy first, then (if you want to deal with them) find out if you can cancel without any charges if when you get your 'plan' you aren't happy.

Usually these types of "cover' aren't insurance policies with all their regulations but warranty agreements which aren't covered by FOS protection for the consumer
    I will ask about cancellation. So I am guessing Indesit's Repair and protect isn't a popular plan?
  • Quentin
    Google for the reviews to see it's "popularity"!
  • nvas7407
    Google for the reviews to see it's "popularity"!
    i am unable to find reviews for this insurance plan.. would you have any links please?
  • Quentin
    Google Indesit repair and protect reviews
  • nvas7407
    Google Indesit repair and protect reviews
    well that's that then.. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories