TV aerial splitters

Options
The antenna is attached to the chimney. The feed comes into the loft and there's a connection to another coax which comes into the master bedroom. There's a Y-splitter which splits the feed. One coax goes into the living room downstairs, and the other to the TV in the bedroom.

The Y-splitter and connectors are flimsy. The input connection is loose and the connector easily disconnects if the Y-splitter is disturbed. The wire to the downstairs TV often disconnects completely, leaving an empty connector attached to the splitter.

I've tried replacing the connectors and the Y-splitter but it's all just flimsy.

TL;DR crappy Y-splitter and crappy coaxial connectors. Am in need of better solutions or connectors.

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a bit utilitarian, but what about duct tape?
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    get a splitter with F connectors

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105

And they sell a bag of F connectors to put on your coax ends. Easier to fit than TV connectors, and robust, all screwing together. And you can screw the splitter down if you like too.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grenage wrote: »
    This is a bit utilitarian, but what about duct tape?
    I tried that when I lived in a student house. Sometimes the wire would still disconnect even I wrapped the whole connector + 6" of coax (on each connector) in duct tape.

Lorian wrote: »
    get a splitter with F connectors

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105

And they sell a bag of F connectors to put on your coax ends. Easier to fit than TV connectors, and robust, all screwing together. And you can screw the splitter down if you like too.

Perfect.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dont forget to screw the splitter to something, and use some cable clips to support the cable. If your cable isnt long enough, then consider extending it using F type connectors....

An option, if your signal is poor (unlikley) is to add in a booster at this point, but also you could introduce a Sky Tv output signal at this point if you wanted it in all rooms to..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure