Which would you choose as a motorway cruiser?

Comments

• Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Arklight wrote: »
    Although it takes a while to get up to 70, I had good experiences with the Nissan Almera as a motorway cruiser. It catches they eye of the babes when you pull into a motorway service station too.

I suppose I could buy one for everyday of the week. Not sure what the neighbours will make of it when I clog up the on street parking..

I am leaning towards the mazda 6.

I never considered a Volvo but a quick look shows that they offer a good performance/ efficiency ratio. The off putting element is the interior. Very outdated.

I worry that with BMWs, it would have been driven by boy racers and the parts are particularly.

With the Q50, do you think that it looks like an old Toyota corolla?
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I never considered a Volvo but a quick look shows that they offer a good performance/ efficiency ratio. The off putting element is the interior. Very outdated.

Probably why I have just bought one :rotfl: not much change in 15 years but not nearly as clunky as it was in the 80's
  • I should add the Mazda 6 is quite a big motor. In particular it's quite long which can make finding a parking space more difficult. On the other hand there's also loads of room inside which can be handy. Make sure you go for at least the 2015 facelift version as they did a lot of improvements that year.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How long are you planning on keeping it?

If you're aiming to keep it for a while then you might want to factor in reliability and look at Toyotas.
  • Dont know much about Infinity.

However out of the BMW 3 series and Mazda 6. It would be the 6 due to reliability and cost of running.

Well, actually for doing 17k motorway miles I would get a Toyota or Volvo but you didnt mention those.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dont know much about Infinity.

It is obviously a very obscure vehicle because everyone is spelling it incorrectly - it is Infiniti
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Honda CRV

Dont buy a Beemer
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    My commute now consists of a 40 mile return motorway journey and my Mazda RX8. Revs are always high (4k) doing 70mph on 6th gear, uncomfortable harsh ride, 20-25mpg at best and a very noisy cabin. Thankfully its only 20 miles each way so I actually enjoy the commute but anything more than that and I'd hate the car.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I used to get 60mpg+ with my 320D on a motorway
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd get one with cruise control and economy settings, maybe even an energy recovery system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure