purchased another RX8

ginashamz
ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
edited 6 August 2018 at 5:09PM in Motoring
Hi
my car was written off and I have recently purchased a Mazda RX8 PZ. This is actually my second RX8 so I have decent experience on how to take care of the engine.

when i got the car (private sale) i didn't get a compression test done but it seemed to drive fine. What i am concerned about is the rust on panels underneath the front wings and wheel arches. I guess there must be rust on the underside too.

I have taken a picture of the rust on the front passenger side, underneath the front wing - see link below. It is the same on the driver side. Is it worth getting this repaired and then a professional underbody treatment with sealant? This will cost around £850 in total. The car is only worth about £1500.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UppQz6xscfLgG3BvqYTAyNyMbY1MV9VP/view?usp=sharing

Or shall I just sand off the rust and re-spray myself?

view?usp=sharing

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    XYrs5Q9MJ_vjTtJySQcNR-rbkjbJGqrfJ9jvWFxIDExRcrkacEiNeaVakZ7Uk_10WyH8WV_GGCIluQ=w1853-h928
    Honestly, that's not worth doing. That's coming through from the inside - and the only way to sort that is with a new wing, and then rebuilding whatever structural rot is behind it.

Given that we're talking about an RX8, if the engine is healthy, then what you've got there is an engine donor for a non-rotten but broken car.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    XYrs5Q9MJ_vjTtJySQcNR-rbkjbJGqrfJ9jvWFxIDExRcrkacEiNeaVakZ7Uk_10WyH8WV_GGCIluQ=w1853-h928
    Honestly, that's not worth doing. That's coming through from the inside - and the only way to sort that is with a new wing, and then rebuilding whatever structural rot is behind it.

Given that we're talking about an RX8, if the engine is healthy, then what you've got there is an engine donor for a non-rotten but broken car.
    As AdrianC says. I'd be looking for a better body to start with.
    Once you start "rust chasing" it often shocking how much has to come out to make a proper
    repair. The seam on the sill looks rough too. What's the car look like underneath?
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Agree with Adrian, that looks too severe to be sanded down. I'm surprised that didn't come up as an MOT fail.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Arklight wrote: »
    Agree with Adrian, that looks too severe to be sanded down. I'm surprised that didn't come up as an MOT fail.
    Not holed, so all the tester can do is a prod'n'tap with the official "corrosion assessment [STRIKE]toffee hammer[/STRIKE] tool."

3238_Insitu2.jpg

The wing's the bit that looks crunchiest in that - and that's not structural, so would only fail for sharp edges. What's behind there is structural, and almost certainly rotten, but can't be seen...
  • Rusted sills can be a mot failure, this kind of rust I have seen before on the focus mk1. Though there are a few good lucking RX8 with low mileage starting from £1000 from 12 years old with absolutely no paint corrosion. Is there anything special about this....it must have a very strong service history?
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    The first thing I would do is get a compression test to find out if it's worth saving. If the engine is good then you can look at the bodywork. There are plenty of wings about second hand and someone is now producing sill repair panels for these (details on the RX8 Owners cub forum)

The PZ is one of the desirable special editions, along with the Anniversary edition. Good luck with the compression test :)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    I bought a PZ new in 2006. Lovely car to drive but I wouldn't want to put that level of performance through a structure as rotten as that appears to be.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Dont the cills rust from the inside out? So expect it to be worse or get worse.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The first thing I would do is get a compression test to find out if it's worth saving. If the engine is good then you can look at the bodywork. There are plenty of wings about second hand and someone is now producing sill repair panels for these (details on the RX8 Owners cub forum)

The PZ is one of the desirable special editions, along with the Anniversary edition. Good luck with the compression test :)

+1

A good PZ is worth significantly more than £1,500 and the rot isnt insurmountable.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The PZ is the original RX8 tinkered with (suspension mostly) by ProDrive. Many of these tinkered bits went into the newer RX8. You already know that running an RX8 isn't the money saving choice, apart from the low purchase price, but the PZ is a special one, and it'll be better to save this shell than other less valuable ones. If it's a good engine, repair the body.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure