PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 April 2018 at 8:14AM
    Oh for pity's sake, we finally got the water back at midnight last night, but now I've got no phone line..........

Openreach were a permanent fixture here yesterday, in fact they've been in residence for a couple of weeks. As soon as they fix one house's phone line, they cut off somebody else's.

Thank heaven's the broadband is still up or I'd be up wotsit creek seeing I run my business from home. They've given me an estimate of 3 days to fix it.......... Had all this about 18 months ago when I lost service for about 3 weeks.

ETA I think the utilities are at the end of their useful original life being about 45 years old. The water mains are due to be replaced, can't happen quick enough.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    I've just managed to nab an Openreach chap, he was at our neighbour's whose phone went off yesterday. He's going to try and chase along our job onto his jobsheet. He's busily bailing water out of the junction box in the pavement, as fast as he's bailing, it's filling up again. I'm sure he'd rather fix both our phones on the same visit rather than have to come back and deal with that box again.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) He got me to lie on the examination table, bent my right leg up at the knee and leaned it in various directions. All were good apart from inward where I yelled with pain.

I have pestered for an X-ray to confirm diagnosis and am awaiting the hospital letter with that appt. I am also under the care of a Bowen Technique pratictioner who is also a physiotherapist and also an Alexander tutor and he wanted me to get an X-ray to eliminate the joint as the cause. Muscles, tendons, fascia, he can deal with but, as he points out, the hip joint itself is a sealed unit and he can't see or reach inside there.:(

I have some exciting exercises to while away the hours. I find pain 24/7 tedious but what really freaks me out is my right leg nearly collapsing under me at times - very disconcerting.

I shall not quail, howsomever, I am a big stroppy woman with a will of iron and I shall overcome.:j

Hope you get an xray soon GQ :( We are lucky in that we have a 2 day a week walk in service at the local cottage hospital (with local GP referral). The results are sent to the referring GP and the practice contacts patients within a few days to suggest next steps.

To balance that, we have an up to 6 week wait for an initial GP appointment, but this has worked out well in my case.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Box of books going to Z!ffit today should yield about £15 - those that were rejected are in a bag waiting to go to CS next time I am in town. I am getting more and more empty plastic storage boxes which is a good sign as this means the contents have left the premises in one way or another - will sort them out and offer them on fr**gle.

It is trying to be sunny and spring like outside and I am kinda conflicted.....inside needs a good sort out and I could list on Eb*y but outside needs a tidy up and sort out too...........uuuurgh!!

ETA: just checked forecast - tomorrow looks better so I will stick with mostly indoors today :D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Slinky
    Yay, our phone is back up again. During the morning my neighbour on the other side than the first one also discovered they had no phone, they're back on too. Was lucky I spotted the van outside first thing.
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

• loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    quite a few years ago we had a problem with our phone ... engineer came ... problem in the box ... all sorted ... but our neighbours phone didn't work ... ... engineer came ... problem in the box ... all sorted ... but someone else's phone didn't work ... engineer came ... problem in the box ... all sorted ..but someone else's phone didn't work ... this was going on for a few months, with lots of people being affected for a few days at a time ...
    EVENTUALLY a NEW/DIFFERENT/BIG BOSS type engineer came out ... turned out that what was happening was that at some point, a cable had fallen out of its 'hole' ... the wires had got tangled up, so as that cable was pushed back in, it caused another cable to slide out and not work !!! all lines were replaced and all phones worked!
  • Slinky
    loocyloo wrote: »
    quite a few years ago we had a problem with our phone ... engineer came ... problem in the box ... all sorted ... but our neighbours phone didn't work ... ... engineer came ... problem in the box ... all sorted ... but someone else's phone didn't work ... engineer came ... problem in the box ... all sorted ..but someone else's phone didn't work ... this was going on for a few months, with lots of people being affected for a few days at a time ...
    EVENTUALLY a NEW/DIFFERENT/BIG BOSS type engineer came out ... turned out that what was happening was that at some point, a cable had fallen out of its 'hole' ... the wires had got tangled up, so as that cable was pushed back in, it caused another cable to slide out and not work !!! all lines were replaced and all phones worked!

We live in trepidation of seeing Openreach at one of the local cabinets as we know the same scenario you have described will be happening. At least 7 homes in our street have been affected in the past couple of weeks, one of my immediate neighbours it was for the second time today.
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am completely cream cracked, will be lucky to see 9 tonight. Went to see that over 55 house, liked it, spoke to people there, came back, booked a second viewing. Wrote an e mail to estate agent relative, she sent me a mailshot of archived material about the house, it has been on the market a long time with 2 agents. She said to be very wary. Got me thinking and I really don`t want to be in grannyland, I love my allotment, I love cycling on flat safe lanes , love my privacy and don`t do much chit chat. Completely not me in that development and I am back to being grounded, not chasing rainbows and content now to bide my time, not looking at any more obviously unsuitable properties

So back to normal Mk, maybe some childrens building stuff, under the bed. Hospice shop will like them
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Kittie, it's not just service charges you need to worry about with developments targeted at the over 55s. They often have exorbitant charges when the property changes hands, although I think there was a Court case a few years ago which outlawed the most egregious commissions - in excess of 10% in the case of the development my FIL bought a flat in. But because they can only be sold to over 55s, the market value on resale plummets. I think you are wise to hold fire

Just throwing out a thought here - when you evaluate all the costs of having to 'buy in' services as you get older against the costs of moving, do you really come out ahead?

I may have to stop driving as I get older because I have Glaucoma and I always thought I would have to move to somewhere where I could manage without a car. But when that time actually comes, driverless cars might transform my options
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    I may have to stop driving as I get older because I have Glaucoma and I always thought I would have to move to somewhere where I could manage without a car. But when that time actually comes, driverless cars might transform my options

They were freehold Maryb, so not transfer costs at all but I slept very well last night and that tells me something about what was lurking at the back of my mind. I have made the right decision

That area I am hoping for, only 1.5 miles from here but over a busy A road and back into peace and quiet. like here. Shop, bus, doctors, groups to join and fantastic for safe cycling. No shop etc on this side, 3 buses a day on very short routes. I know some people over there and someone, usually a stranger, always stops to chat in the shop.

Eyes are the main reason for me wanting to move to easier access. My 3D retina photo last year, gave me a shock and I am a candidate for potential problems, older, short sighted, floaters. I don`t know what will happen re eyes but want to be in a more appropriate area if I ever cannot drive. Anyway, I feel settled now, fate will prevail
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure