Holiday Lettings and Damage deposits

I have had a nasty experience with this company and wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I booked four days in an apartment in Nice with Holiday Lettings last year. On going through the website booking process, I was given one price but was warned that the owner would need to come back to me with a final price. The "owners did contact me with a revised quote which had increased by nearly 70% on the original quote. However, I noted a comment by the total cost that (with refundable damage deposit of E500.00) which, having booked with HL before and had to pay the damage deposit up front, indicated to me that the E500 was included. I therefore felt that the increased quote was acceptable.
However, it transpires that it was not included. I wrote to HL asking them for the return of the E500 but they said that it had not been charged. I have been toing and froing with emails to HL who refuse to take any responsibility for this. Perhaps I was naive in my booking but having booked with them before believed that my assumptions and the above wording was correct. I now do not know whether I should pursue this or just right it off. Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Slightly confused - did you stay at the apartment & are now asking for you security deposit back or something else?

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • The apartment was a Xmas present for my nephews at beginning of march. They stayed there and we heard that the owners were happy with the way they left it. I was therefore looking for them to repay the damage del which from their wording, looked as though it had been included in the revised price. However they now say that it wasn't included and that the revised price was just that nearly 70% increase on the price given at first stage booking. Had I known that it was a revised price of 70% I wouldn't have made the final booking. I feel that their site is very misleading and the wording so non explicit it borders on deception. They if course are in complete denial so I'm unsure his to proceed or indeed whether I should?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What is the wording on the site exactly?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why on earth did you contract a booking without confirmation of the final price? That is effectively writing a blank cheque.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport