Any recommendations for good bicycle insurance?

Options
Hi all.

I'm just looking through MSE for bicycle insurance for my son, and I thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommendations for any?

Haven't bought any since I was cycling (about 12 years ago now) so I've lost track of the good/bad etc.

Anyone got any recent good - or bad - experience to share?

:)
The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One option could be an add-on to your household insurance.
    Check with your insurer.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with British Cycling for the last 5 years or so. Membership costs £37 per annum, and you get benefits like 10% off various cycling outlets. You also get liability insurance and legal support.

I used this for an accident in late 2015. I got an interim payment, physio and 80% of my claim, which was probably better than I'd have managed if I'd had to pursue a claim without their backing.

Reasonably happy with that, although it took quite some time for the claim to complete.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have my bikes insured on the house insurance as that was a good price, just make sure you're aware of any terms and conditions you have to meet for the insurance to be valid such as having a certain graded lock.

John
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can imagine there's probably some kind of minimum specification regarding locks, when leaving a bike unattended. No doubt the lock will be so heavy, it will nearly double the weight of that super lightweight road bike you have.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am with Cycleguard, not had a problem but never had to claim

I use them for theft cover as the "self insure" route would take me around 9 years of premiums not paid to cover the replacement costs if stolen

Leaving the bike unattended must always be done with a lock on their approved list (this will be the same with all insurers)

Recommend speaking to your home insurance though, if the bike is under £1000 (maybe more with some companies) then they'll probably do it. My gf owns our house and it's her house insurance, they will not cover a bike over £1000 so it's useless for me for my main bike.

Would second the value of British Cycling (or similar) membership, the legal cover alone is worth it in case of an accident where you need to sue and the personal liability covers any accidents where you were deemed at fault
  • elverson
    Options
    ETA also do bike cover including "breakdown" cover to get you home or to a railway station.
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    We've just (last night) insured a new ebike through our house insurance Aviva.
    In this instance it was much cheaper than a purpose written cycle policy. The lock stipulation is not as stringent, also the price was only based on the most expensive cycle, not the collective price of every bicycle. These are also covered away from home under personal possessions.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    Cheers all, that's been brilliant. Will pass all the recommendations on straight away.

He's already had his first fall hitting some ice too. :)
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    I've been with British Cycling for the last 5 years or so. Membership costs £37 per annum, and you get benefits like 10% off various cycling outlets. You also get liability insurance and legal support.

I used this for an accident in late 2015. I got an interim payment, physio and 80% of my claim, which was probably better than I'd have managed if I'd had to pursue a claim without their backing.

Reasonably happy with that, although it took quite some time for the claim to complete.

Hi - I am wondering if by any chance you might be able to advise on insurance cost? It appears I can't get a quote as it is within members-only area. :-(
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've just (last night) insured a new ebike through our house insurance Aviva.
    In this instance it was much cheaper than a purpose written cycle policy. The lock stipulation is not as stringent, also the price was only based on the most expensive cycle, not the collective price of every bicycle. These are also covered away from home under personal possessions.

Please check that an Ebike is included. I was going to put my Ebike on my Tesco home insurance but buried in the T&C's is the restriction that bikes with 'mechanical assistance' are not covered. That includes Ebikes.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts