Redundant... now what??

Options
So, I have been made redundant, obviously I have been paid a redundancy settlement... great! However I’m only 11 weeks into maternity. So, I don’t want to go straight back to work, however I don’t want to use all my redundancy to live while I look after my son. I would like to save the money for a deposit on a house (when I get an income again) however I have heard that if you have savings then you wouldn’t be entitled to any benefits? I was only looking for something to help us through the next few months? What’s the best thing to do? I got my maternity paid in lump sum but isn’t a great deal and doesn’t cover all my bills. Should I hide my money? Or have I been told wrong? Help please

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would advise visiting local CAB or job centre for best course of action
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 3:19PM
    Options
    If you've been working for at least a couple of years, you're entitled to contribution-based job seekers allowance for six months. They don't backdate it, so get your claim in. You can do it online, and they'll ask to see you at the jobcentre.

Update LinkedIn - let people know that you're looking for work. Register with local employment agencies. Ask friends if they know any openings where they work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure