One night in a hotel every week

2»

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    People rent the spare rooms in their homes (or sometimes whole properties) - there are some bargains to be had.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • As a B&B owner we would definitely offer a favourable rate if a guest wanted to book a stay like this. Don't forget the B&B's - I know you have said you are not a fan of 'independent hotels' but many B&B's are much better value for money, friendly and able to offer a personal approach that many 'corporate' hotels simply cannot match.

We have many business guests stay with us once a week who arrive and ask us to 'pop a lasagne in the microwave' for their dinner. We don't mind at all - they are a pleasure to deal with :-)
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    where in Glasgow is the hospital?
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2017 at 6:13PM
    Hilton strathclyde is nice if you are looking for a nice hotel and I am sure would probably negotiate a discount as we stayed there last weekend for 79 a night with dinner and breakfast. Otherwise the best deal is probably travelodge booked in advance but there are other htels that would probably do you a deal like busby /eglinton arms and may more. depends if you want a nice hotel at a decent price or just cheapest deal you can get. If you can are a member of hotels.com they send an email with discount /secret price -this will give you a good indication of best price -then call them up /or like hilton use hilton honours as should be best price.
  • It's the Priory Glasgow (G41 3DW - not in the centre).

I forgot Airbnb! I let my apartment on Airbnb for a couple of months and one night stayers were a royal PITA..

I am not looking for the absolute cheapest. Hotel stays are usually the only times I get to eat a proper breakfast so I relish good hotel breakfasts (Hilton is especially good). I also need a good WiFi connection to do a bit of work and parking as the hospital is in the middle of nowhere. I would be happy to pay ~£60/night.

Thanks for all of the ideas. What sort of result should I expect when negotiating with hotels? I know independents will probably be more willing and able to negotiate but I really like to know the bed will be comfortable, the facilities will be modern, what will be on offer at breakfast etc. etc. before arriving. I've had mostly bad luck with independents.
  • smudge56
    The Ivory hotel http://ivoryhotel.com/ is just minutes from the hospital. You'll get parked easily. If you chose anywhere in the city centre parking may be more of a problem.
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it a chain you want then ..price wise hilton strathclyde -check price on honours and then -call or send an e-mail -breakfast is cooked/cold bar and pastries etc so all good./ other choices are probably holiday inn ek -is ok a bit party central but does have a pool and you can ask for quiet room / cant remember how good the breakfast is but probs more like £60.= and also nearer to hospital then hilton. chainwise the only other option would maybe be an airport hotel which is drive able to the hospital and you can sometimes get a better deal.
  • smudge56
    There's also the Park Hotel in Giffnock, about 10 minutes drive from the hospital
    Giffnock B&B just along the road from there
    Parkland country club in Newton Mearns though maybe a wee bit pricey
    There's also a new Premier Inn opened just at the M77 turnoff in Newton Mearns again - about a 10-15 minute drive to the hospital
    All have ample parking and easy access to where your wife will be as they are all in the south side.
  • Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I called all of the hotels here. Courtyard by Mariott at Glasgow airport was the only one to offer a meaningful discount. Hilton routes their booking calls to India and, after pushing hard to speak to the hotel, it sounded like the hotel's hands are tied.

This is what I ended up doing:

1. Registered for Hilton's 2K a day offer: https://hiltonhonors.com/13799_01242017/ (£6.66 in points for every night)
    2. Booked the advance cancellable rate at DoubleTree Strathclyde for the next few weeks whenever it was below £75/night (all but 2 nights I need)
    3. I'll keep checking closer to each booking and if the price drops, I'll cancel my booking and book a non-refundable stay at the lower price
    4. For the nights when it's more than £75/night, I'll transfer in points from Amex and use them/accrued Hilton points to book (unless I see another offer at the last minute)

I should also get a free upgrade, breakfast and 4pm checkout with my gold membership. I booked king rooms so the next room up is a suite :)
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good work.

Suite's for <£75 if that isn't being a MSE I don't know what is
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories