The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• MrsSave wrote: »
    My emergency fund is now at £984.72. :j So close to £1000!!!

Well done to you! I can only hope to be somewhere that close one day. And remember, it's not if you stay at £1000... as long as you top it back up after spending!

For my first EF update I have a grand total of £88.87/£1000 to report. I'm hoping to sock in around £80 a month but will also be trying to top it up with account skims and anything extra I can make or save.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I know, they are. You'd never guess that I'm in my 30's, married with a child :rotfl:

Yay for staying :D I actually really like this thread! There's not many I comment on here, this is one of the few........everyone is nice :D I'd seen a comment about the 3 month wages one, and had a look for it under challenges but couldn't find anything so assume it hasn't been started up.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    A big welcome to our 2 newest members who will find their #'s in post #1.

Just checked on my ZOPA account and it's growing nicely, so added another £50 to it. This means I have invested a total of £150, but have withdrawn £40 so have £110 being recycled through the social lending circle.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    :dance:_party_

I've done it!! With a little help from HMRC! :j::beer:

The tax return I've been waiting a couple of weeks for appeared in my account over night! Woohoo!! :T

I did spend some of it though :o

£272 was refunded. I then went to Aldi and completely stocked up our freezer and alcohol cupboard! I bought things that have totally run out but wouldn't usually buy unless it's Christmas as it doesn't fit within my budget. I didn't realise it was possible to spend that much in Aldi :eek: I also got a couple of things from Tesco.

The left overs went straight into the emergency fund. My emergency fund is now at:
    £1119.58

I'm so chuffed. I'm still wanting to build it up a little before overpaying the loan, so will be still posting here and my current target before overpaying is £2000. :j
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave, that's absolutely wonderful:T. I couldn't be happier for you. Well done on all your effort to get this far.
    :beer::j_party_:dance:

Now for the next £1000, eh? Onward and upward:beer:
  • patman99
    Well done MrsSave. I had to chase-up HMRC with regards to my Tax refund. This will now be heading my way mid-September.

• Thanks patman99, excited to be here!

I shuffled a few pennies over in online banking so total for #126 is now £89.82!
  • I've finally opened another account for my emergency savings.
    My total is in my signature & next month I will set up a direct debit to transfer money into it so
    I'm not worrying about putting money in
    NSD 3/25 | SA: £38.00 | EF: 38.13
  • Yay Mrs Save have just logged on after being out of action with rotten cold this week. Lovely to see your good news.

Well no more into the ef until end of month probably but I am pleased to report that me being ill was not declared a cook emergency and that hubby and son made their own dinners and did not resort to takeaway for teas :T.
    NST#14/2
  • patman99
    Just spent the last 2 hours bringing my YNAB up to date.
    Didn't realise that I hadn't updated it since mid-March.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback