PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    maisymoo5: I see you took out some mozarella. That answers my question on freezing soft cheeses, so I won't be throwing brie and Camembert out now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In: nothing
    Out: pork burger, onion rings
    Used up: cheese spread, flat peaches, cherry tomatoes, home grown cucumber
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    I'm with you on cooking and refreezing stuff mrssd, it's all part of the process for me! :)

Out: frozen apples and blackberries
    In: 3 x YS grilling cheese
  • Mrssd, you are well on the case, wish I was as focussed but when I am recuping back at home I will use up some of the freezer stuff as will be unable to go to shops for a while. I am bad for buying cheeses (soft) and yoghurt and not using them at the time so they sit in fridge for ages - I mean could be months, unopened. I took a moz. out yesterday, 2 months OOD and used it, it was fine, I do sometimes freeze a yog but I have a big greek one in fridge at the mo, couple of months over, but intend to use this week, pre hospital, have made a search for uses for it so a pizza base and some yoghurt buns. Really must get my act together too, doughter will be coming round to help once she has had me at her home for a couple of weeks so she will look all over and she is a best before person!!!! Oh dear
  • caronc
    edited 4 July 2018 at 9:36PM
    In: nothing
    Out: pollock, rice, brisket joint, pitta
    Used up: cooked chicken, cucumber, radishes, boiled OOD eggs for use over the next couple of days
  • mrssd
    Sorry to hear that you have been unwell and hope your recuperation goes well and you are back firing on all four cylinders soon.

Be careful with that past its best mozzarella. I once forgot about one and opened the fridge one day to find it had quite literally exploded out of its packaging: the mess was unbelievable! Having said that, it was getting on for 9 months' old:o:o I was so angry at having to empty the fridge and clean everything that I vowed never to use my fridge as a dustbin again: Shame I resorted to using my "shed" and the freezers instead!

I had the grandkids today (forgot they were coming), so the food mountain and freezer took a well deserved knock. We found some pizzas lurking in a corner of the big freezer that looked fine and used them at lunchtime with a tin of beans (strange combo, but the kids like it) and made a shepherd's pie for tea, which we ate with some bartered runner beans from this morning's walk with the mutt. Cost me one jar of home-made marmalade. They also managed to eat some crisps that were a couple of weeks past their best and the best part of a tub of ice cream. Hope they are not sick tonight, but they looked fine when their dad picked them up. They've gone home with several jars of home-made jam and marmalade, a Christmas pudding and the rest of the rest of the out of date crisps. Fill them up with junk and send them home hyper. No doubt, their mother will be mortified and it will only confirm her belief that I am nuts. I call it Grandma's Revenge for all the grief their dad caused me when he was their age.
  • mrssd
    I've got a slight problem hopeless case. The runner bean guy says I can have a couple of bagsful in exchange for some piccalilli and chutney. Now, my problem is this...
    Do I take the beans and put them into the freezer, thus taking up space I have created, or do I just give him the goods free, gratis and for nothing? I love runner beans, but I am trying to create space - not fill it up. I suppose I could always make runner bean chutney for future bartering...:undecided
  • mrssd
    Out for tomorrow:
    Something without a label, which might be chilli, or then again, it could be bolognese. Either way, it will get rid of either some of the rice or pasta.
    One packet of frozen macarons left over from Christmas.
    Sliced wholemeal bread.
    Two salmon fillets (now poached and half made into sarnies with not much out of date salad cream for OH and his workmate: rest for me tomorrow lunchtime - sans salad cream).
  • caronc
    mrssd wrote: »
    I've got a slight problem hopeless case. The runner bean guy says I can have a couple of bagsful in exchange for some piccalilli and chutney. Now, my problem is this...
    Do I take the beans and put them into the freezer, thus taking up space I have created, or do I just give him the goods free, gratis and for nothing? I love runner beans, but I am trying to create space - not fill it up. I suppose I could always make runner bean chutney for future bartering...:undecided
    Personally I'd take the beans - I love runners and they are so expensive to buy and such a short season. I grow my own (though they are sluggish this year due to the heat) and always try and freeze some to enjoy throughout the year. I don't blanch them just chop & freeze in bags and they are so much tastier than the commercial frozen ones:D
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Finished 1 from 3 of the batched cooked recipes that I am trying to have by the end of Saturday. Don't think I will manage them all.

This month so far, received an online (food) grocery delivery which had one fridge and one freezer item missing. However, purchased more "yellow-stickers" beforehand, elsewhere. Balanced things out a little (regarding space) but a reminder of how I can be!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback