Need advice

Please can someone advise me, my son is 19 lives at home no dependants and is not working yet, he has to claim UC and is waiting for his interview. If he started working even part time will he be able to close his claim for UC as this is really stressing him out and making him depressed. I am on working tax credits plus hb and council tax support. Would I be able to inform hb of any wages he earns when he starts work so he can shut his claim to UC?
I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If he wants to do that he can live on a part time wage, as no one is compelled to claim benefits.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    any income your son has could impact on your housing benefit/council tax support as he is now a non dependant. you need to inform both of these departments
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    any income your son has could impact on your housing benefit/council tax support as he is now a non dependant. you need to inform both of these departments

I will inform hb but I'm waiting for his UC award as they will only ask for it, same with cts.
  • guccigoo
    teddysmum wrote: »
    If he wants to do that he can live on a part time wage, as no one is compelled to claim benefits.

So he will just be a non dependant on my hb then until I eventually get moved over to UC?
    Would he have to tell his work coach he is closing his claim when he gets work?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    guccigoo wrote: »
    So he will just be a non dependant on my hb then until I eventually get moved over to UC?
    Would he have to tell his work coach he is closing his claim when he gets work?
    He won't be on your HB because he's a non dependant. You won't be entitled to any HB for your son.
  • guccigoo
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    He won't be on your HB because he's a non dependant. You won't be entitled to any HB for your son.

What I'm trying to say is that when he works could I inform hb as up to £136 they deduct £14.80 off hb and so on. Would I be able to do this if he closed his claim for UC when he finds work?
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,920
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    just one point if he worked less than 16 hours he would not get credits for his national insurance which he would get if he claimed UC i think
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    guccigoo wrote: »
    What I'm trying to say is that when he works could I inform hb as up to £136 they deduct £14.80 off hb and so on. Would I be able to do this if he closed his claim for UC when he finds work?
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport