Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Comments

• Just found this thread Thanks for all the info
  • Originally Posted by pineapple
    Both winter fuel payments AND the buss pass have to wait till you reach pensionable age which is now on a sliding scale depending on when you were born. I am 60 this September but will have to wait till March 2011 till I can collect my pension and the above. Others will have to wait a lot longer!

This doesn't apply in Scotland - 60 is when bus pass is issued and if you were 60 on a specific date (not sure which day this was) in September you'll get the winter fuel payment this year.

BUT......the pension sliding scale thingy does apply as it's a UK wide scheme.

Update: I'll be 60 next week....I applied for my bus pass at the end of November .........my local council organised it and I received it in the post yesterday.
    Looking forward to using it. :)
  • robbieroy
    robbieroy Posts: 102
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Club 55 begins again on January 17th 2011 and lasts until March 31st 2011. This scheme allows cheap rail travel in Scotland for for those who are aged 55 or over. Under the scheme, a return ticket costs only £18. Full details can be found here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55
    RR
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I mentioned to my car insurers that I had retired and was doing less mileage and I got a reduction on the renewal. Worth a try!
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pineapple wrote: »
    I mentioned to my car insurers that I had retired and was doing less mileage and I got a reduction on the renewal. Worth a try!

Wouldnt that just be because they reduced your miles and not because you have retired? You pay more for car insurance the more miles you do a year so they have probably just reduced them on your renewal for this year. Check last years and this years to see what they are covering you for
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • pineapple
    Forumite
    lechat wrote: »

I didn't know about this.
    Many thanks!
  • pineapple
    Forumite
    Lady_K wrote: »
    Wouldnt that just be because they reduced your miles and not because you have retired? You pay more for car insurance the more miles you do a year so they have probably just reduced them on your renewal for this year. Check last years and this years to see what they are covering you for

Yes I wondered about this. But I think maybe it's also because I am now just covered for social/domestic/pleasure. Some people will still be doing the same amount of miles in retirement. So it's worth a mention anyway.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    It is during retirement that men and women change places in terms of the gender most likely to have an accident.

This may be because the old boy has at last calmed down a bit, but is most probably because he is having medical problems and she is forced to put on her driving gloves again in the traffic, she has come to avoid. (EG Boy racers during the rush hour).
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I turn 60 next week, so just how will I benefit money-wise for being that age?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just 2 posts up from where your question is now are 147 pages answering it........

Top thread on this page
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure