Question of the Week: When should I buy my foreign currency?

Comments

• I went to Bowman's (First Choice) and said I wanted to change £500 to Turkish Lira and wanted 2.35 per £1, within 1 week, they phoned me with this rate, so I got it. still has not got this high in all the other places, just try being checky! We go to Turkey in July!:rotfl:
  • Also try finding out what rate is in the country you are going to, and just get enough before going abroad, then get your currency once there, we have always found it better in the country we are visiting.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I just usually take approx 70 euros for a cab at the other end, normally get it from Thomas Cook I think on the high street. The one that doesn't charge commission. They sometimes try to add £3.50 for "buy back" which is cheeky as if you only have a little amount you're not going to want to take it back at a cost of £3.50!

Not sure if this is the best way to get your money but i've always done this.. never ordered online..
  • GhostDog_2
    GhostDog_2 Posts: 239 Forumite
    We're off to (hopefully) sunny Menorca on Monday. Plan to exchange currency somewhere on the high street tomorrow and was thinking M&S have always provided a favourable rate of interest......

Anyone have any better suggestions? (My guess is everyone knows the answer to this better than me but I'd still like the best value for money! :o)
  • other and please state
    GhostDog wrote: »
    We're off to (hopefully) sunny Menorca on Monday. Plan to exchange currency somewhere on the high street tomorrow and was thinking M&S have always provided a favourable rate of interest......

Anyone have any better suggestions? (My guess is everyone knows the answer to this better than me but I'd still like the best value for money! :o)

try this place
    never used it myself, but often see others recommending it

http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • daveytod
    daveytod Posts: 21 Forumite
    hi, I fly to turkey in a weeks time, and have been advised that my best bet (i.e. get the most for my money) is to take sterling and exchange it for turkish lira once i'm there, skipping the euro altogether.

has anyone got any thoughts on wether or not this is the right way to go?
  • other and please state
    Good to see this 'STICKY' is still as popular as ever !!
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • Randy
    Randy Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any idea when is a good time to buy Cuban Pesos ready for September holiday... Ta
  • btbright
    btbright Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hi, I took sterling cash to Tenerefe and got a better
    rate (1.15 no commission)shop around can be low
    than Tomas Cook (1.07) The hotel was charging 1.083 !!! mind you that was 2 weeks ago about 1.18 now I think
  • wannabe
    wannabe Posts: 402 Forumite
    I know this is a million dollar question but would you buy now or leave it till the very last minute which would be August. Also would anyone be able to advise me the best place to buy.
    Many thanks
    Ooops sorry another one. I am going to Italy would you go for Euros, traveller cheques or credit card and minimal euros.
    thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport