Reasonably priced yet reliable online place to replace a glasses lens

QQQ
QQQ Posts: 375 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 November 2019 at 10:25PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I dropped my glasses and one lens got cracked. Are there any reasonably priced yet reliable online place to replace a glasses lens?
My prescription is simple and not high so standard lens would do.

Comments

• I’ve used glasses direct reglaze service a few times now. They’re not dirt cheap but certainly cheaper than the high street. Never had any issues.
  • QQQ
    amandacat wrote: »
    They’re not dirt cheap
    They're not indeed. Are there any other online places?
  • QQQ
    Any more ideas?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 August 2020 at 2:47PM
    Unless they are very expensive frames which you want to keep it would almost certainly be cheaper to get new glasses online. Nobody is very keen on doing repairs or even completely re-glazing specs so they tend to apply a fairly hefty "re-glazing" charge as a deterrent. Depending on the type of frame there is also the risk of damage even if it is done professionally. Then there is two lots of postage etc.

Sadly, like a lot of things, what seems expensive when you are buying isn't really very much (or even worthwhile) when you are running the business.

I normally get my glasses from SelectSpecs (online) but I think they too are disproportionately expensive for re-glazing compare with supplying new.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I use googles 4you very reliable and very reasonable with a terrific customer service I have up to now bought 3 pairs of glasses I highly recommend them  
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • QQQ
    Unless they are very expensive frames which you want to keep it would almost certainly be cheaper to get new glasses online. Nobody is very keen on doing repairs or even completely re-glazing specs so they tend to apply a fairly hefty "re-glazing" charge as a deterrent. 
    The thing about new glasses is that I do not know how their frame will look on my face and virtual try-on tools is just a joke. And besides they tend to use cheapest ever frames which does not help to achieve a good result either.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    There’s  an independent shop near me that does this. Like you my husband knows what suits his face and wanted to keep his frames.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    QQQ said:
    Any more ideas?
    I once had the identical problem and the first 4 household name opticians point blank said no can do.

Then walked into a big Asda near work that had an Asda optician. They did a perfect job of replacing the lenses in my frame at a really reasonable price. Would've considered replacing the frame but can't get that style anywhere. It seemed to be the sort of great service you can't get any more. Some years have passed so maybe Asda are no longer so flexible. But check them for yourself.
  • QQQ said:
    amandacat wrote: »
    They’re not dirt cheap
    They're not indeed. Are there any other online places?
    Surely you’ve used Google? I used Select Spex, they were very good but one data point tells you very little. It’s easy to check online reviews. I recommend AR and hard coatings. 
  • If you get new specs from glasses direct you can order 4 pairs of frames to try at home free & free to return 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback