Pentech Bangor

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What a SCUMBAG, hope they get whats coming to them.
  • Milko
    Milko Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If its the same owner he once installed software on my brothers laptop & charged him full price for what should have been legitimate Windows … it was pirated.

Personal experience has me use "Plain English speaking Computers" in Ards … have been more than helpful in the past
  • Milko wrote: »
    If its the same owner he once installed software on my brothers laptop & charged him full price for what should have been legitimate Windows … it was pirated.

Personal experience has me use "Plain English speaking Computers" in Ards … have been more than helpful in the past

I know it's a faff but I strongly encourage you to report it.
  • BigAl94 wrote: »
    I would recommend contacting Chief Inspector Gerry McGrath who is a particularly approachable guy

Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Max0010 wrote: »
    If you care to, it'd be nice to hear how this turns out.
    Especially if the trader in question has 'form' as it were.
    I really hope you get a good outcome.

Reading your original post again, I'm guessing you were fobbed off
    by a police officer who simply didn't want to take the report and investigate.
    I'm disgusted by this for two reasons at least. Stealing from the vulnerable is
    despicable. Someone likely to have a criminal record, ought to be pursued by
    police at every opportunity, to prevent them reoffending.

If Trading Standards don't pursue this, I would write to your local PSNI District Commander,
    who is probably based in Bangor and will be a Superintendent if memory serves.
    Keep it short and sweet, but include enough facts to get them interested.
    If a District Commander directs one of his uniform or CID constables to investigate,
    it WILL happen. Superintendent is a very senior rank.

Or, raise the matter at your next Community Policing Partnership public meeting.
    Again, bring a note of the facts. Keep it concise. An Inspector rank usually attends these
    meetings and while a couple of ranks below Superintendent, nevertheless can direct this to
    be investigated.

In mitigation, police officers I know tell me that morale is at an all time low, the terrorist threat never went away and is increasing and resources are stretched very thin. Unfortunately in circumstances such as these, so called minor offences not involving violence will fall through the cracks.

In the days of the RUC, the trader would've been spoken to and encouraged to return the money, RAM card and anything else taken from your father. It may've been suggested, that in the interests of goodwill all round, the trader fix the laptop free of charge. Funnily enough nine times out of ten, this ensured a happy outcome. No paperwork had to be done and the traders card was marked, for any repetition.
    Sadly, not all change is for the better.

Thanks for your advice!
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Might I suggest contacting Scott Wilson at Wilson computers. I’m not trying drum him up business but Scott owns the company but is also one of your local councillors. So he will understand what you are talking about, he’ll be annoyed at someone else sullying the IT business and he might have some way to assist, through the council.
    Always overestimating...
  • Milko
    Milko Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    x12yhp wrote: »
    Might I suggest contacting Scott Wilson at Wilson computers. I’m not trying drum him up business but Scott owns the company but is also one of your local councillors. So he will understand what you are talking about, he’ll be annoyed at someone else sullying the IT business and he might have some way to assist, through the council.

It'll be the first as a Bangor councillor … he's done any good :rotfl:
  • See Bangor is brilliant. And I thinnk Newcastle is good too. I love county clown
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Pentech is closing down according to the owner on Facebook this morning.
  • Karma maybe? I wish I and all the helpful members of this site could say we hand in it, but as you can imagine the police and trading standards take time to get round to these sort of things and they did tell me that they hadn't even got round to contacting him yet! Although trading standards had hinted that they'd received several reports about Pentech.

What is worrying though is Mr John Mccrea (the owner) seems to be continuing "repairing computers" even without the shop so please advise anyone in Bangor especially the vulnerable about his little tricks.

Here he is insulting a customer: imgur.com/a/Vgw1X1E
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport