Is it acceptable to haggle in a charity shop?

Comments

• Do they want to sell me an item today, in the hope that I might give it back tomorrow (I do this with books especially)? Do they want to sell something today in the knowledge that they have so much stock, that they can't actually fit it all on the shelves ? Or do they want to screw the last 50p out of every sale, and not fail to realise that when I next have a batch of unwanted good stuff, I might not take it to them?
    I honestly think that they should haggle.
  • I Dont understand in some of the charity shops (especially the chain ones) why they charge so much money for somethings. Sometimes you can buy it cheaper new. Iv had a few funny looks when Iv said this to shop staff.
    You Should haggle as they get everything for free... so all is profit.
    2013-Swag bucks £10 Qmee £2.17 App Trailers 1.23 not a huge amount but better than nothing
  • Indie_Kid wrote: »
    It doesn't go to the skip. It's then passed on to another charity shop.

My dad works for a skip company and he does report that in some cases (perhaps not all) after the shop has had it for a certain number of weeks it is disposed off.
    I like charity shops and often trawl them for trousers for work and other clothes. I wouldn't haggle for them. I do agree with some other comments that some charity shops overprice - I was in one the other day and they wanted £7 for a second-hand CD which could be bought for less than £6 brand new. The items stay on the shelf in that case.
  • worbikeman
    worbikeman Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    It doesn't go to the skip. It's then passed on to another charity shop.

The starving kiddies will be happy
  • I volunteer in a charity shop. As it is an individual shop we have total control over the stock, prices etc. We made a conscious decision to price our stock low so that it sells, therefore we can send money to the underpriviledged where it is most needed.We frequently receive donations so stock is always moving through the shop and we have many happy regular customers. So, no we don't offer discount and we display notices to that effect. If stock doesn't sell within 4 weeks then we will reduce prices and display the new price. Many of our customers actually pay more than the ticket price as they are so pleased with the goods. Yes, we could increase prices, but we would lose a lot of goodwill, donations would be down and we would end up with a lot of unsold stock and less revenue for the charity.
    When I go into other charity shops, I consider the prices to be high, in some cases higher than buying the item new, so I don't purchase. Who is missing out most on a sale? Surely it is the charity.
  • Are people aware of how much salary the fat cats in charities are paid?

When I discovered that most charity CEO's are earning in excess of £150K I was astounded and downright annoyed.

I've stopped giving to charity now as I don't think it is right for the top people to be paid salaries as high as this, not when it's a charity.

Not all are like this. Find out if you're concerned and only give to those who don't.

If the charity won't answer you - no donations - like the RSPCA, they refused to answer me, that says it all.

I also won't give to any that experiment on animals like cancer charities - because that is wrong IMO. There are enough of us willing to be the guinea pigs - I've volunteered as I'm diabetic!

In a charity shop some of them charge way over what I feel is fair, the prices are very high - so yes, feel free to ask if they can reduce when the prices are high. If you need the money more - some people are struggling big time, so no it's not a problem to ask IMO.
  • Concerns and saddens me that so far nearly one third of voters think a charity shop is like any other shop. Have we really become so hard?
    If you are in dire straits then yes you will do all you can to survive but I doubt one third of forum users fall into this category.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you are prepared to pay the asking price then I think haggling is a bit harsh in a charity shop.
    But if it's a case of you'd buy it at a reduced price or not at all then there's no harm in asking. If they say "no" then fine. If they say "yes" then everyone's a winner. They won't say "yes" if they aren't happy to sell it at that price.
  • I am a avid user of charity shops, I have been rumaging through them since I was 12 years old (now 33).

I do think that nowadays some charity shops take the mikey with pricing. Particularly now charity shopping is 'cool' and popular, perhaps because of the current economic climate?

I personally can afford to shop in a high street store, but prefer the originality and randomness of charity stores. Finding that vintage gem etc.

However for some, charity shopping isnt just a bit of fun, its a must. It makes me cross that some charity shops jump on the band wagon and charge over the odds for all their clobber (not just the high end stuff) - so people end up going to Primark instead.
  • Borage
    Borage Posts: 53
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Concerns and saddens me that so far nearly one third of voters think a charity shop is like any other shop. Have we really become so hard?
    If you are in dire straits then yes you will do all you can to survive but I doubt one third of forum users fall into this category.

I knew the manager of a charity shop and she had to take £1700 per week minimum , if she did;nt reach her target questions were asked by the area manager as to her suitability to do the job. She eventually left because of the constant stress. Nearly all charities are run as lucrative business,s these days, thats why there are getting more and more of them. Sit and watch TV in the afternoon and count the number of charity adverts that come on. As for the RSPCA, have a look here:
    http://rspcanotwhattheyseem.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/dog-lovers-desert-rspca-over-inhumane.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure