Free Portal game download, worth £17

Options

Comments

• Mindwhip
    Mindwhip Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for helping us help you help us all.

We do what we must because we can.
  • Mindwhip
    Mindwhip Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I_luv_cats wrote: »
    Took time to download Steam and Portal and says my Graphics card doesn't support shader 1.1 !!!

You really must have an old computer, or a laptop with a low end graphics chip. Almost all home PCs made in the past 2 years should have no problems with running this game since it was first published in 2007 (office PCs are less likely to work as they often don't have 3D graphics cards).
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought the orange Box when I saw it was on sale in sainsburys for £5. Portal is such a brilliant game! Definately reccommended. And Steam is actually a good programme to have as it can keep tabs on all games you have on your computer so you don't have to go searching around :) Plus the prices of games are very reasonable. Sometimes the cheapest around.

P.S Can't wait til the make Half Life 3!!!
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • dizzyliz
    dizzyliz Posts: 541 Forumite
    Options
    thanks v much - i have signed up to it. xx
  • fiendishly
    fiendishly Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I_luv_cats wrote: »
    Took time to download Steam and Portal and says my Graphics card doesn't support shader 1.1 !!!

lol, don't get me started, we had to buy a whole new pc just for this game; it's very good, but rather short. The valve platform is very good, but constantly tempting with lots of special offers on games, costs me a fortune :o
    :beer:
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Oscar_The_Grouch Posts: 2,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fiendishly wrote: »
    lol, don't get me started, we had to buy a whole new pc just for this game; it's very good, but rather short. The valve platform is very good, but constantly tempting with lots of special offers on games, costs me a fortune :o

Rather short???? The download has all the bonus maps and everything!! I'm still running around in sewers and pipes getting shot at all the time!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • jmids
    jmids Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Always nice to get something like this free but as a newbie to gaming I am a bit confused by the process of getting this.

When you go to the steam site it says "Act before May 24th to get your free copy of Portal!". Does this mean that you need to have installed the game on your PC by this date or just that it needs to have been added to your steam account by this date?

I have clicked on install and that took me through setting up a steam account and then gave me the option of downloading the steaminstall.msi program. I am due to get a new PC in a couple of months and would like to put the game on there. If I really want the game for my new PC should I install steam on the old PC and download the game now or can I do that later on the new PC?

Any help much appreciated.
  • indelacio
    indelacio Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    just added to your steam account, its like a virtual game collection, you can install steam on any computer and download and play any of the games in your account rather than needing the cd's. And whoever valued this at £17 got it wrong, orange box (which includes portal, hl2 +2 episodes and team fortress 2) sells for £10-15 brand new in the shops lol
  • jmids
    jmids Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks indelacio, sounds good so no drm restricting you to only use a game on one PC.
  • Thanks to all for pointing it out. But am I missing something as steam appears to do nothing on my mac, so can't download portal either. Program just doesn't respond and steam tech support doesn't recognise the account I set up even when I'm logged in. So I can't ask them why it's not happening. Any clues?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure