Great 'Your fave sub-£5 wines' Hunt

Comments

• Wombat
    Wombat Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wine: Trezanti Salento
    Year: 2006
    Price: £4.18 (When on offer, which is now and again but also currently).
    Where: Morrisons

Why I like it: One of the best full-bodied, fruity, Italian reds I've tasted. Normally priced at over £8. Morrisons have it on offer at the cheaper price at the moment and every few weeks.
  • I love a red French Wine from M&S Le Froglet excellent value at £4.99
  • For a pretty nice easy drinking wine (it's useful for cooking too) I like this one:

wine: Chilean Sauvignon Blaunc
    Year: -
    Price: £3.32
    Where: Tesco

It's light and citrusy and goes well with fish, seafood or light chicken dishes (and it's fine on it's own too).

They have a Chilean Chardonnay in the same style of packaging too for a few pence more but I've never tried that one.
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For a very nice red
    wine Chilean Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon
    year various
    from Tesco
    price fluctuates but around £3.35

Really smooth and rich goes well with a red meat meal.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • wine: Isla Negra Red and Rose
    Year: -
    Price: 3 for £10
    Where: Iceland

We have drunk this for several years now, nearly always available from Iceland, but occasionally from Tesco or Morrisons. £6+ from Waitrose next door
  • Wine: Cuvee Pecheur
    Year: 2008 (but their vintages have been very consistent in the past)
    Price: £3.99
    Where: Waitrose

Lovely, fresh, clean and well-balanced white. Good fruit on the nose but very dry and crisp on the palate. A perfect everyday drinking wine that works as well on its own as it does with food (chicken, seafood, salads, a lot of pasta dishes).
  • We are quite tight (read: moneysaving ;) ) and try to buy wine at £4 mark, but of course thats not easy. We have tried some of the supermarket brands as well as others:

Wine: Sainsburys Californian Red (Orange label)
    Year: not sure, 2005/6/7 perhaps
    Price: £3.73 as of now on their site
    Where: Sainsburys

Fruity flavour, light enough to have 1 bottle between 2 in the week without giving you a thick/fuzzy head the next day, doesnt show you had it the morning after the night before lol

Wine: Fisheye Californian Red (Orange label similar to above)
    Year: 2005
    Price: £4.69 as of now on their site
    Where: Sainsburys

Same as above really, but a little heavier, like a red wine should be, this isn't a negative (in our eyes)

Wine: Tescos Californian Red (White label)
    Year: not sure, 2005/6/7 perhaps
    Price: £3.49 from memory
    Where: Tescos

Like the Sainsburys one but it does stain a bit, I know all reds have this tendancy, but a quick brush before bed sorts most, apart from this one :) It is a nice wine to drink so dont hang on that if its not important to you.

We also like Australian reds, but I have run out of lunchbreak to continue, briefly Mcguigan Estates have 1 or 2 at £4.99 in Sainsburys, also Little Penguin is £4.69 at present, and Wollemei is also under £4.99. All very highly recommended, look them up at Sainsburys website, its very easy to get the info without signing up to them.
  • Wine: Castillo Estables Reserva 2004 La Mancha
    Year: 2004
    Price: £4.79 if you buy 2+ bottles
    Where: Majestic

Unfortunately minimum purchase at Majestic is six bottles but for this wine it's worth it. Best I've ever tasted at this sort of price. I've paid £10+ for considerably worse!!
  • ish quite shimple.... bottom shelf in Tescos wine section. You can get a good choice of red or white between £3 and £4. My favourite is Californian white, but also try a South African or Australian white. All of them are bottled for the Tesco brand. Look out for the regular 3 for £10 offers on the more pricey wines and don`t forget they give you 5% off 6 or more bottles. And, occasionally, there are the `Wine Festival` 25% off offers (+ 5% for 6 bottles). cheers me dears.
  • Chat en Oeuf is a good buy, I have had offers around 4 quid, look for the cat and egg on the label.

Another favorite is Siglo Crianza 2004, it is the one in the bottle wrapped in sackcloth for about 4.50
    My names not Bill but I am from Beverley
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport