Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2013 at 3:20AM
    Options
    They should be attacking Apple, not O2.

The reduction of the TV bands to make way for 4g has been known about for years, and allowing EE to get in early on a different band was a later decision.

So Apple have had plenty of time. The UK situation is a bit different from other countries where Apple was taken to task for advertising 4g when their phone could not be used on 4g.

And despite some comments above, O2 has built a lot of 3g coverage in the last couple of years, but much of the increase, especially in more rural areas, has been at 900 MHz. I noticed recently that French networks have done the same, so one of my phones had 3g coverage but when the same SIM was in the dongle I'd taken it had 2g only. Different dongle next visit.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I bought my iPhone 5 SIM-free from Apple on its launch date of 21st September 2012, Apple stated on the ordering screen (of which I have kept a screenshot) "An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details". Although Apple mentions other countries (i.e. other than the UK), it does not mention the variation in support within the UK. At the time, no UK network was offering 4G but it turns out that Vodafone and O2 already knew that they would not support any of the 4G frequencies of the iPhone 5, and Apple would have known this as well.

Given Apple's lack of disclaimer regarding UK networks (only regarding non-UK networks), I believe I have strong grounds to return my iPhone 5 for a refund, probably best timed when Vodafone and O2 launch their 4G services and the next iPhone is launched. Sections 14(2B)(a) and 14(2D) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 are particularly relevant.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »

And despite some comments above, O2 has built a lot of 3g coverage in the last couple of years, but much of the increase, especially in more rural areas, has been at 900 MHz. I noticed recently that French networks have done the same, so one of my phones had 3g coverage but when the same SIM was in the dongle I'd taken it had 2g only. Different dongle next visit.

You have a very good point there. After winning early termination from T-Mobile I ported my number over to giffgaff to "park" it until deciding what to do.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the improved 3G coverage I'm seeing, I have yet to find an area in the North East without 3G, and even indoor coverage is very good, indoor is definitely better than EE was. I've just realised that last time I was on O2 I was on an Android phone without 3G900, this time I'm using a iPhone 4S, which is 3G900 compatible.
    ====
  • SoWhatIsNext
    SoWhatIsNext Posts: 66 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2013 at 1:41PM
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    When I bought my iPhone 5 SIM-free from Apple on its launch date of 21st September 2012, Apple stated on the ordering screen (of which I have kept a screenshot) "An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details". Although Apple mentions other countries (i.e. other than the UK), it does not mention the variation in support within the UK. At the time, no UK network was offering 4G but it turns out that Vodafone and O2 already knew that they would not support any of the 4G frequencies of the iPhone 5, and Apple would have known this as well.

Given Apple's lack of disclaimer regarding UK networks (only regarding non-UK networks), I believe I have strong grounds to return my iPhone 5 for a refund, probably best timed when Vodafone and O2 launch their 4G services and the next iPhone is launched. Sections 14(2B)(a) and 14(2D) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 are particularly relevant.

It was obvious that it wouldn't be compatible, if you paid attention to the news. The only reason EE could do it was because they persuaded OFCOM to use existing spectrum. The other networks took them to court to try to block it, but failed.

The new spectrum that was due to be auctioned was never going to be compatible with the iPhone 5 due to the new frequencies. Therefore, if you bought the iPhone 5 for 4G, you could only have bought it with the intention of using it on EE.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It was obvious that it wouldn't be compatible, if you paid attention to the news.
    The Sale of Goods Act doesn't expect consumers to follow the news, except perhaps for something that is so well known that it is the first news headlines in mainstream media. The only relevant published information is the material mentioned in Section 14(2D).
  • SoWhatIsNext
    SoWhatIsNext Posts: 66 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2013 at 9:11AM
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    The Sale of Goods Act doesn't expect consumers to follow the news, except perhaps for something that is so well known that it is the first news headlines in mainstream media. The only relevant published information is the material mentioned in Section 14(2D).

You are right.

It was in the news, and I would have thought it was widely known that it wouldn't be compatible.

Apple probably took the view that the information was correct as the only existing 4G network at the time was EE, which it was compatible on.

However, they shouldn't have assumed it was known and made it absolutely clear that it was not going to work on the other networks who would deploy 4G later (due to the different frequencies).
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With regard to LTE, this page was up on the Apple site from before the iPhone 5 release (there are some network additions for other countries). The entry for the UK hasn't changed.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Note the small print as well.
    Data roaming depends on supported bands and carrier policies. LTE roaming may not be available. Contact your carrier for more details.

To identify your iPhone 5 model number, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939. Unlocked iPhone 5 models may support LTE networks outside the country of purchase when using a valid SIM from a supported carrier. Contact your carrier for more details.

LTE band support is based on the iPhone 5 model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. Band support does not guarantee support on all LTE networks running on the same bands.

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Click here to see complete list.
    ====
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2013 at 6:40PM
    Options
    You are right.

It was in the news, and I would have thought it was widely known that it wouldn't be compatible.

Apple probably took the view that the information was correct as the only existing 4G network at the time was EE, which it was compatible on.

Maybe by then Apple had already been rapped on advertising standards grounds in other countries, so it was worth taking a view about getting such things more accurate
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am outraged. I have just heard that O2's 4G doesn't work on my Nokia 3310.
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    corbyboy wrote: »
    I am outraged. I have just heard that O2's 4G doesn't work on my Nokia 3310.

Are you serious???

Right that's it. I have had enough of this company. I'm cancelling my direct debits. They'll never get another penny from me. Those lying scumbags!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure