PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pineapple, my dd is currently renting a 300 year old cottage which was plastered all through inside. It is lovely and light and I think was plastered over insulation. I was not looking at cottages before I went to hers but I am now, the light walls makes all the difference

Got to think of food now, trying to stay away from nibbles. Started with toasted cheese sandwich done in a bag in the toaster ie no butter. Just now had real coffee and cherries. In an hour or two will have some presently soaking oats with yogurt, nuts and compote. RM is in fridge for lunch, I need to get back to status quo wrt the freezer but will leave the boxes of ice in there as they help to reduce running costs. I like fruit before main meals, it ferments faster than proteins and veg

Last meal will be same as yesterday, two pieces of crispy hm toast, one with peanut butter and one with an organic cherry spread. Some time, one episode today, dark lidl caramel chocolate, normally have organic chocolate but was tempted, must say it is lovely but will go back to organic when it is finished. That plus one slice of gold cake and I have rm veg juice, anytime this morning

Heck it is like mapping my life, this enforced staying in, hopping from meal to meal on a daily basis
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Know what you mean Kittie re mapping days by planning your food, that's definitely me in the winter:rotfl:

It's now snowing quite heavily here but it's due to turn to rain later, I do hope so.

My Dad appeared looking like a Yeti in a fourescent jacket:eek:. On a Sunday he likes to go to Morrison's for a cooked breakfast and a read at the Sunday papers they provide. They were out of tattie scones so gave him hash browns instead which he said he enjoyed for a change. There a few folk from around the town head there for 8.30am on a Sunday, they don't arrange to meet up as such but tend to all sit together so it's quite social and keeps him up to date with the town gossip. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc, your dad sounds sorted!

Its gone black out here so my plan to knit while sitting in the sun has changed. I will now be watching 4 episodes of north and south on drama, starting at 12. I think I will enjoy that. I need to be motivated to do anything else today

My soaked oat ambrosia was lovely, filled that tummy gap and got some more protein into me. Rest of the food today is easy, not that the ambrosia was difficult

Once I get out again I will buy a condensed mushroom soup, add fresh mushrooms and chopped turkey, make pastry tops and that will be several days worth of food but as always will have to freeze a couple. Thank goodness for my small enamel dishes. Planning ahead, cannot go out yet, still snow in patches and patchy slippiness
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Snow has gone here. There was just a smidgen left dotted around first thing and now gone completely.

So - I headed for the supermarket - on foot as per normal (with a pair of walking boots on just in case). Not vast amounts of people there - but noticeable. Lots of empty shelves (but quite a bit of milk I noticed) and there was obviously "all hands on deck" of staff re-stocking the shelves. One of them told me that a lorry had just got to them at 7 hours late and hence all the re-stocking going on. I would say "frantically restocking" - but they don't "do frantic" in this area:rotfl:.

Had to make a couple of substitutions - ie milk is organic as per normal (but semi skim and not my normal full fat) and couple of other substitutions for what I'd planned on. But got a trolleyload of stuff anyway and stocked-up again. A mini size bottle of wine sneaked into my trolley for a drink with lunch today.

Stop-off at one other place en route back and half hour or so chat with total stranger later - yep...that's one of the plus sides of this area, ie the high probability of finding one has had a great long chat or two with total stranger by the time you get back home again.:rotfl:Today's plus side being it was the second time in about a week that the stranger talking to me was obviously surprised I'm not in my mid-50s (as that's the age they took me for):rotfl::D.

Think the way I eat is "working" in some respects obviously:) - though I suspect I've only lost a couple of lbs weight so far:(. Roll on spring - and now I've sorted out some new-to-me walks to try out as the weather improves it will be walking boots on again...thinks "Should try for that 5 miles a day 5 days a week bit"...:cool: and that should do the trick I guess....(looks longingly at my genuine size 12 - ie would probably be labelled size 8/10 these days - corduroy jeans I can't get into at the moment). Reminds myself to "Think positive".
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon All

We’ve got a very slow thaw going on here but still the white stuff keeps falling. I had thought to go out and clear the drive but it’s due to turn to rain later and get warmer overnight so opted to leave nature to do her stuff.

Went a bit baking mad yesterday, kitchen was lovely and warm and saved me putting the heating on. I made a fruit loaf, a carrot cake and a very tasty pizza for my tea. Most of the baking has been wrapped up and stuck in the freezer – I’m trying to avoid the nibbles too.

I’ve peeled and segmented, chef-y style, 3 oranges and 2 grapefruits – I go through phases when I have this for breakfast, snacks and in salads. I’ll have some orange segments this afternoon on top of a slice of carrot cake with my cup of tea, yummy.

Been trying to sort out a meal plan and shopping list for the past couple of hours but kept getting distracted by Dancing at Lughnasa on film 4. It’s finished now so I will get on with my kitchen chores and prep stuff for tonight’s stir-fry of Turkey, broccoli & mushrooms in oyster sauce with bulgur wheat.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lunch was in two parts. Firstly beans on toast ..... then gateau :)
    All gateau gone now. The whole box ... the lot .... it was definitely a full sized "serves 4" when first encountered.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Fully thawed out now, mild but dull

Tried to start car again now it is safe underfoot to get into garage. Bummer, still just beeps and flashes dash lights at me. Oh how I wish it was back in the old Anglia or Maxi days, then I would know what was wrong, and could at least whack the solenoid with a hammer in the Maxi to get it going. Now I'm into scrabble land of ECU, BSI and gawd knows what. Tomorrow maybe call out the breakdown folk, I think I have the at home option paid for, soon find out

Kittie, thanks for bit about MS Money, I rely on it as well, I use W7 and still works on that, but if I may follow your route if this PC keeps playing up

Looks like rinse & repeat of yesterday's food

Another porridge, honey & HM yoghurt breakfast

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie

Dinner is last of the LO pie, with chips & gravy because I really enjoyed that last night

I was going out for some food tomorrow, I have loads in but getting a bit stir crazy now, I may have to forego outing if car folk coming
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It has been snowing here AGAIN. OK stop already. You are no longer scenic and charming, you have outstayed your welcome! I saw a farmer's kid raiding the roadside grit box. It must be for one of their lanes as the road to town has been cleared.
    Today is free range chicken breast and green beans. Plus a pancake with fruit filling (bought a container of frozen mixed fruit yesterday on our emergency dash into town).
    Nursing a charred finger. The message, kiddies, is don't get in the way of a glowing piece of coal which has decided to attack your poker. :doh:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had some cheeky chips, with a large herby cheese/tomato omelette ... splash of ketchup. Just because I'm a piggy :)
    There's no justification for it. I've over-eaten (again). But that happens to everybody quite a few times, so this is a Guilt Free Zone about it.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's now pouring here and quite windy. I don't think I've ever been so pleased to see it raining:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback