Parking Dispute

Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some help before taking any action on my parking problem. Basically I bought a house in a new build by Miller which has a parking area which has allocated bays for certain properties and then 2 Visitor spaces. It compromises of 3 house and 3 flats. The houses get 2 allocated parking spaces and the flats 1. Then there are the 2 visitor spaces.

All residents and their guests are quite good at parking where they should so no problem there. The issue is a house 2 doors down which has a driveway and a garage and no allocated bays in this parking area have started parking both their business vehicles in the visitors spots.

Now I am pretty sure they do not have a right to park in here and it was a bit annoying when they used to used 1 Visitor space but now they are using both I feel they are taking advantage.

I have made some signs which clearly say these spaces are for residents and their visitors only. I plan on sticking them up in the spaces and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are unaware(although I doubt this).

But as their are no signs like you usually see in these parking areas that say resident only, I wanted to check my rights and was there any small chance they were allowed to park in here. But even so to take up both visitors spaces every day/night is still out of order in my opinion.

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What do the deeds say?
    Is there a management company?
  • Well we checked the deeds and could not find anything but may look again as my wife thinks she saw something.

As far as I am aware there is no management company as it was a new Miller site and all houses were complete last May so think they have left the site.

I have noticed where there is a block of flats been built on the site, their parking area similar to ours says residents parking only but ours does not have a sign like this.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    The question will be who owns the visitor spaces, from what you have put the allocated spaces belong to the relevant homeowners.

Putting a sign up or even just speaking to the people down the street may stop them parking there however it doesn't sound like there is actually anything prohibiting them from doing so.

As much as they are loathed by many this may be a situation where a private parking company could be beneficial.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is this house part of the same housing development?
  • So just went through the deeds but I think I am missing a document but did find one document that says "The Visitor Spaces including in the Title are subject to the rights of user". So this would tell me that all other properties with allocated bays would have the same right but the house down the road who does not have an allocated space does not have the right to park there.

You are right, as there is no sign them there is nothing stopping them do it and they likely fall into the category of having no respect for others and will do it if they can. Funnily enough it does not surprise me as we caught them one night stealing material from the new houses being built as well as a neighbor who caught them too.

Seeing their deeds would confirm but cannot believe why they would have a house with a garage, drive and no allocated bays in our are but then have the right of the Visitors space. The house directly to the left of us has 3 cars and they park in front of their house and do not use the Visitors but I am presuming this is because they know they have no right to park there and are decent people and adhering by the law.
  • It is yes but there are about 150 houses on the development and probably half a dozen parking areas like ours which have all been built near house styles like ours and the flats as no driveway or garages as opposed to the style of house they have which has a garage and driveway.

Maybe I am presuming but cannot see how they would have access to these visitor spaces
  • What does it matter who parks in the visitors bays?

As long as you have your two spaces then their isn't an issue.
  • Actually it does matter as if my 2 spaces are taken up and I have a visitor where do they park. The way my house is situated which is on a bend there is no place to really park on the road where it would not block or impede people hence the reason for the visitors space.

Plus there is someone who regularly comes visiting one of the flats who only have 1 space and they have to park on the street quite a bit away as to not block anyone.

Each to their own if you don't mind then fair enough but it is also principal and not just ignoring something that is wrong just because it may not affect you at all or much
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    have started parking both their business vehicles in the visitors spots.

Very common, nobody wants these beasts parked in front of their own house, but often their employers insurance company demands the vehicle be parked within a certain distance of their home.

My ex-gf had one of these idiots parking right outside her front window, we had all sorts of hassle from the guy (or man child), some little !!!! whose daddy was high up in Eon, he actually never did any work and the van sat there 24/7 with flat tyres.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As an extreme measure, if you and the other legitimate users of the space can agree, you could install some locking parking posts - and each of you have a key.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure