"CITYMAIN ADMINISTR" bank account charge

Comments

• Number 01983 618300 is still working fine:j
  • S3r6e1 wrote: »
    Number 01983 618300 is still working fine:j

Yep... a 2 minute phone call soon had it all cancelled :)
    I enjoy a pint of beer each night for it's health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
  • LeoUK
    LeoUK Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 January 2012 at 3:05PM
    If you find Direct Debit set-up with CITYMAIN ADMINISTR is for buymobilephones.net Free 3 Months Insurence as Detailed below in their Link:

UUU.buymobilephones.net/insurance_faq.php (replace UUU with WWW). As a Newbie to this Forum I am not allowed to post URL's @ the moment as per forum rules.... !!!!!!!!!!! :-(

CITYMAIN ADMINISTR geo Landline number : 01983 618300 (Isle of Wight Geographic Number) & choose Option:4 Working fine & you can cancel the Insurence in a straightforward manner

They will ask your Reference Number ( you could see this number from their Letter sent to you during Mobile phone purchase time) full Name , Address, Post code

Job Done ....!!!!

Happy Insurance cancellation with buymobilephones.net if you dont want it .
  • elbubsio
    elbubsio Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2012 at 12:04AM
    Hi all,

Like many others here, I was stung by this horrible company. I cancelled the DD through my bank, then rang Citymain to confirm the cancellation which they did. However, the woman I spoke to refused to refund the payment that had been taken. I've written to them with this letter (links are changed but obvious) -

Citymain Administrators Ltd
    PO Box 116
    Ryde
    Isle of Wight
    PO33 2WX

9th February, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Earlier today, I telephoned your offices to cancel an insurance policy for a mobile phone, which was purchased through buymobilephones.net and included 3 months of free insurance. The lady I spoke to told me that the policy had been cancelled by my bank (I had done this 2 days earlier) and that no more payments would be taken. However, when I asked for the payment which had already been taken (on the 6th) to be refunded, the lady in question refused to do so, stating that due to the date of purchase for my phone, the direct debit payment is taken from my bank account on the 4th of the month. I informed her that buymobilephones.net's (hereafter referred to as BMP) website states that the policy does not begin until I receive the phone (which was the 12th of November) and therefore the 4th month of my policy does not begin until the 12th of February and as my cancellation was within the 3 month limit, I should not have to pay anything. I was then told that this was wrong and that I must provide documentary proof that this is the case. The lady also informed me that the payment which had been taken meant that I was covered for the next month. There are several problems with these statements.

Firstly, according to information provided on BMP's website (vvv.buymobilephones.net/insurance_faq.php), Citymain writes to each customer confirming the cover and giving confirmation of the direct debit setup. Your website (vvv.citymain.com/da/21920) makes the exact same statement, replacing only the word 'citymain' with 'We'. I have received no such paperwork from you and therefore cannot be expected to be aware of the apparent dates that the payment would be taken. Had I received this paperwork, I would have ensured my cancellation had been on the appropriate date.

Secondly, with regard to your representative's lack of knowledge regarding BMP's and your own website, it is stated on the former that 'Providing you have agreed to purchase the insurance option, your phone is covered from when you receive your phone from buymobilephones.net.' Your own website again states the exact same thing, replacing 'buymobilephones.net' with 'your supplier'. Both websites also state that ‘On month four, we will collect the monthly premium by direct debit from your account.’ Please note the use of the word ‘on’, not ‘a week before’. Given these quotes, only two conclusions can be reached -

1) Your representative is mistaken, and I AM within the three month period and your charge to my bank account WAS taken early.

2) The payment should have been taken on the 4th of the month as stated, in which case, either your company can somehow foretell that I will be buying a phone and began the policy a week before my purchase, or I have not received the full three months of free insurance as stated on the above websites. Assuming that the former cannot be the case, then the latter would mean that you have falsely advertised a service which you do not provide in full, which I believe is illegal and would therefore be a matter for the relevant authorities.

Finally, regarding your representative's statement that my payment means I am covered for another month, I refer you again to BMP's website which states 'If you do not exercise this right to cancel then your rights and those of the insurer to cancel this insurance cover thereafter are that you may cancel this insurance at any time by giving notice of cancellation, in writing or by telephone, to the administrator. Cover will terminate immediately on receipt of your cancellation.' The downloadable terms and conditions from that same website (vvv.buymobilephones.net/insurance_tandc.pdf) state the same thing, and this document is even signed by Mr P Kelsey, your director.

In summary, the earliest date which my policy can have begun is the 12th of November. My policy was cancelled through my bank on the 7th of February and by myself over the telephone on the 9th of February. The policy is terminated immediately at that time. This cancellation therefore came within the three month period which you are legally obligated to provide and I would therefore ask that the money taken from my bank account for a fourth month which I have not entered, nor for which I am covered, be refunded immediately.

I have enclosed printed copies of the relevant page from BMP's and your website and the downloaded terms and conditions and have highlighted the quoted passages for your convenience. This should provide adequate proof of my claims, as requested by your representative.

I thank you for your time and hope this matter can be resolved swiftly.

Yours faithfully,

We'll see if that gets me anywhere. If I haven't heard back from them within a week or so, I'll be back on the phone to give them more hassle. Chances are they'll deny receiving that letter (how convenient). If that fails, i WILL be contacting anyone who will listen, including consumer direct, trading standards, watchdog, their head office, my solicitor and possibly even the police as I'm pretty sure their charges to me constitute false advertising. If all else fails, I'll be making damn sure that all the hassle I cause them and the time taken will cost them a lot more than my £5.99 :D

I can only suggest that everyone and anyone who comes across this thread in the future follows my lead and lets all the above groups/programmes know about this underhand tactic. If enough of us complain, they may take action.

For anyone needing to contact them without spending a fortune -

Telephone - 01983 618300
    Address - Citymain Administrators Ltd
    PO Box 116
    Ryde
    Isle of Wight
    PO33 2WX
    Email - info@citymain.com or [EMAIL="customerrelations@citymain.com"]customerrelations@citymain.com[/EMAIL]

I'll keep you all up to date as things transpire :)
  • Hi again,

Well, hoorah. I received this letter this morning -

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter received in our office.

We are always most concerned when a customer raises an issue concerning our company and do take these matters seriously and would reply as follows.

Turning to your comments in regards to the date that the premium was collected, we would advise that our letter sent on the 14th November 2011 confirmed that the premiums payments were required to be collected in advance of the paid peiod of insurance.

Therefore, as the premium collection dates are the 4th and 20th of the month and your free period was due to expire on the 11th February 2012 the direct debit collection date was the 4th February 2012, to ensure the payment was taken ready for the period of insurance.

However, we have noted your comments in regards to the Buy mobile Phones website and we have forwarded these onto the appropriate department for review.

Finally, we can confirm that it has been agreed to refund £5.99 into your bank account the week commencing the 20th February 2012.

We trust this resolves the matter to your satisfaction, should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,
    Daniel Bailey Cert CII
    Customer relations ofiicer.

Whilst I'm obviously very happy with this result, the letter does raise a couple of concerns.

Firstly, their claim that they sent paperwork through to me on the 14th, which they absolutely did not. The fact that they are willing to back down on this matter, shows that they don't want this 'oversight' scrutinised in my eyes. I know from reading several other posts online that I'm not the only person whose letters mysteriously got lost in the post ;)

Secondly, their statement that they have forwarded the information on to be reviewed. This is basically company lingo for 'We will shortly be rewording our website to obfuscate our procedures further'.

I can only advise everyone whose fallen for this scam to stick to your guns. Keep a record of dates and correspondance to and from them and know your dates (delivery, date money taken etc). Whether they like to admit it or not, I'm still sure that taking money before the 3 month period is over is false advertising.

Finally, if you haven't received the paperwork from them within a couple of weeks of receiving your phone, call them and let them know. Get a name of who you're speaking to and get them to go over you details (DD dates etc) on the phone and ask them to resend the details by post or email. Keep on at them about this until you get a concrete, black and white date that the money will be taken and then you can arrange to cancel as necessary.

Oh, as a final thought, I had a confirmation that my policy had been cancelled from them a couple of days ago, explaining that as my cancellation was within 5 days of the due date, the payment taken could not be stopped in time. Whilst I doubt that this is true, it may be worth cancelling the policy a week or more before the payment due date.

Sorry for the long winded post, but if it helps people avoid this underhand trap, then I'll be a happy bunny :D

Good luck all
  • kv87
    kv87 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Damn I fell for it too...

Now is it worth ringing up and cancelling or to do a claim and then cancel (After all i am paying for it)
  • elbubsio
    elbubsio Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2012 at 3:52PM
    Hi again,

KV87 - Not sure what's best for you, mate sorry. Don't forget though if you do make a claim and there's nothing actually wrong with your existing phone, they may be able to catch you out and that could lead to all sorts of problems. Personally, I'd take it on the chin and just cancel, but the decision is yours.

Just to update people, as I predicted BuyMobilePhones HAVE now changed their T&Cs to reflect my complaint letter above. They now state that the insurance lasts for the month if you've paid and that your first payment will be taken in advance.

My advice to one and all would be to video yourself placing any orders and untick the insurance box on the order form. Make sure you get a nice clear close up of the unticked box so they can't claim you ticked it later. Visit a couple of other websites, for example newspaper sites to confirm the date you took the footage. Film the entire process right through to the order confirmation page. Do the whole thing as one film and you have pretty much bulletproof evidence that you opted out of the insurance.

I know it seems like a lot of hassle but if it saves people getting charged needlessly, it's worth it IMHO :D

Good luck folks and remember, be careful ;)
  • LATEST on CityMain administrator cancellation.

I have just cancelled my policy (remember, you have to opt out rather than the morally correct way of opting in!). To do this quickly, they now offer a text message cancellation service, as they are obviously receiving far too many calls, and they ask that you text the following:-

text CANCEL to 81400

They will ring YOU back in due course on your purchased mobile just to confirm your address and identity and they will then cancel the policy forthwith. Quick and easy. Don't delay....
  • Hexa
    Hexa Posts: 1 Newbie
    As above text CANCEL to 81400

They do not even phone back to confirm anymore it seems they simply send you a text back saying it is cancelled.
  • 1mmaker
    1mmaker Posts: 286 Forumite
    just been looking through my bank account, just always presumed this was something else Ive must have had this since 2008 when i got a mobile from x store and its been coming out ever since even long after ive stopped using that particular contract. now its went up in price to £14.04

Not a happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport