Free EHIC Discussion

Options

Comments

• Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TimXJR1300 wrote: »
    I realised my card expired and so wanted to renew it.
    I googled European Health card and at the top of the list was this site:

nhs-direct.org.uk/application.php

THIS SITE WANTS TO CHARGE so don't go there

I just came across this website as well. I'm renewing our cards for a holiday in the Autumn and had read Martin's message on facebook about this a while ago so when I saw the NHS one come up I thought 'this one must be the right site'. It's a very text heavy site but I did read it all and down the bottom it clearly states that it charges. Good job I read it all though as the web address is very very misleading. Shocking that they can get away with having an 'NHS' style web address.I have since followed the link from here to get the free card. Thanks Martin for raising awareness on this :money:
  • woodley13
    Options
    After seeing the latest e-mail newsletter I realised that I have also been scammed by nhs-direct.org.uk. being charged £14.99

However I have only just applied, I am within my 30 days (see the smallprint) and I have requested a refund which is going to be honoured but I will check this actually occurs in due course.

I must admit that I was in a rush when applying and as it is not something you do regularly I fell foul of this little trick. They must have made a lot of easy money from this little venture.
  • gnus
    gnus Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    penedawn wrote: »
    if that broken toe wasn't declared because it was 4 months ago, be warned they will not pay out for any claim you make, under the heading that you did not tell them the full truth. It is not relevant that you are claiming for a broken wrist and they may well cover you if you have an ingrowing toe nail however the fact that you don't tell them is the problem so if you have any concerns then give them a ring.

Read http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/medical-conditions.htm
    BEWARE OF AUTO-RENEWAL
  • jarr
    jarr Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't find the official website! All the links I've been given the page has an error on it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    jarr wrote: »
    I can't find the official website! All the links I've been given the page has an error on it.

I think you've found the right website.
    There must be something wrong with it at the moment.
  • x_missymoo_x
    Options
    https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

Site has been working today... I completed my application and did not have to pay a fee :)
  • kimdegsidash
    Options
    We have just returned from our holiday in Portugal, where we unfortunately spent 8 of our 12 days in Faro General Hospital with our 4 yo son who had been diagnosed with pneumonia.

The hospital did not charge us a cent for his medical treatment whilst in hospital because we were able to produce his valid EHIC card on admission.

Another English speaking couple were on the childrens ward at the same time as us and they had a bill to pay because they did not have a EHIC for their daughter.

If you're reading this discussion thread you already know that having an EHIC is important, so :T for that, but please be aware that you will also need adequate travel insurance to cover you for unexpected costs associated with a stay in hospital.

We incurred over €800 of additional costs associated with the hospital stay - taxis to and from the hospital to visit daily/change parent sleepover duties, food, phone bills etc. We were devastated to discover that our travel insurance policy was a basci policy covering us for essentials only and we would not be able to claim for these costs that increased each day our son was in hospital. We have come home in debt to family and needing another holiday, although thankful our son is well and received good care in Faro Hospital.

Please bear in mind that it might be worth paying a little bit extra for a decent travel insurance policy just in case something like this happens to you (which I sincerely hope it never will).
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something"
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience of long term usage of the EHIC card abroad?

I'm a UK tax resident but spend most of my time abroad (Hungary) as I work online.

National Insurance says I'm not eligible for overseas health cover (despite paying NI) and that I have to pay into the Hungarian system as well.

I have no major objections to this (it costs about £18 a month) but there's lot of bureaucracy involved in signing up for their system, and I'm worried it might cause some problems with tax issues. Private health insurance is prohibitively expensive at c.£100 a month.

Does anyone know of any situation that the EHIC card would NOT cover? It's supposed to be for life saving treatment only; but could they say 'sorry you have to travel back to the UK for an operation/scan/test' etc? That would cause a lot of problems, eg if I developed a chronic but not life threatening illness.

There's very little info on this on the internet, the situation seems to be different in most countries.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • Tanqueen
    Options
    :-( Having just read this article I looked back on my credit card statements and was charged £14.99 by website applyhic.org Whilst I usually am very savvy I have totally missed the small print that says this card can be obtained FREE and now that I have gone back and read their site, there is even a paragraph refering to people who complain about being charged - they make no excuse for taking money for this service. OUTRAGEOUS!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback